Queen Of Thieves beta 1.0.3 (new achievements)

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: Queen Of Thieves beta 1.0.2 (new achievements)

Post by Troyen »

Minor non-text thing. I can see my potion inventory as I go through the robbery missions, which is helpful for knowing when I reach my limits, but I can't see it during the catacombs where it actually seems to matter. Can the party inventory be shown on the catacomb screen somehow?

Also, is something up with the experience gain on normal mode? I've been doing the catacombs (cleared to level 4, now it wants level 9 characters) and nightly robberies, but my characters are only level 6. I just bought the level 10 story mission, but that's a ... lot of grinding nobles to get to level 10. That's also after spending a bunch of gold getting everyone a new outfit and Joanna a new wand.

Update: ok, I did the level 10 mission at level 7 and it wasn't too bad, but now the next set is level 15. I bought all the outfits, am working on buying all the weapons, and I'll probably be level 9 by the time I clear catacombs level 5 and have my 15k gold. Am I doing something wrong to be so underleveled? I have not skipped a robbery on a single night, and I've been picking encounters near my level (merchants for 1-5, nobles starting at 6). I get 20-60 exp per encounter, so it takes...a lot of encounters to level.

Also, are the talk scenes random? I've gotten about eight for Thalia, two for Kira, and one for Joanne (:(), and nothing in a long while. Some characters I haven't even had a chance to combo (e.g. Joanne and the elf).

Back to the typos:
encounters.rpy 1183:
One of us...

encounters.rpy 1270:
fueling (one l)
Spoiler:
The Zombies Horde boss really should just be "Zombie Horde". Since Zombie is used as an adjective in this case.
Merchant house, potion room:
Silence them before they can call for help

rooms.rpy 1387:
They're hunted in all of Aravorn...

Bug? I didn't actually get anything from the Evil Eyes boss fight even though Joanna claimed she could sell valuable fluids to the temple. All I earned was four gold for beating them. :(

mainStory.rpy 583:
...any hold I had over her. (instead of "here")

rooms.rpy 1215:
least worst possibility

Boots of Protection lore:
...claimed that you could walk for hundreds...

Eternal Tasset lore:
...incredible protection...
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Troyen wrote:Minor non-text thing. I can see my potion inventory as I go through the robbery missions, which is helpful for knowing when I reach my limits, but I can't see it during the catacombs where it actually seems to matter. Can the party inventory be shown on the catacomb screen somehow?
Maybe I could find a way to show it there, but need to readjust the existing GUI :oops:
Troyen wrote:Also, is something up with the experience gain on normal mode? I've been doing the catacombs (cleared to level 4, now it wants level 9 characters) and nightly robberies, but my characters are only level 6. I just bought the level 10 story mission, but that's a ... lot of grinding nobles to get to level 10. That's also after spending a bunch of gold getting everyone a new outfit and Joanna a new wand.
I thought that doing the catacombs, and a few robberies "between each level" should be enough. However many tweaks were made, so I am not sure (and I don't have the time to replay it). Maybe I could give more EXP in Easy/Normal mode, and keep current level for harder difficulties?
Troyen wrote:Update: ok, I did the level 10 mission at level 7 and it wasn't too bad, but now the next set is level 15. I bought all the outfits, am working on buying all the weapons, and I'll probably be level 9 by the time I clear catacombs level 5 and have my 15k gold. Am I doing something wrong to be so underleveled? I have not skipped a robbery on a single night, and I've been picking encounters near my level (merchants for 1-5, nobles starting at 6). I get 20-60 exp per encounter, so it takes...a lot of encounters to level.
Ah OK - well the level requirement for the fixed missions it's more a suggestion, and of course in Normal level if you're good enough it's possible to win even if you're a few level below. But (unless I remember badly but I don't think) you can do a level 15 mission no matter what your level is. Only matters the gold. If you have enough gold, you can do the mission even if you're 5 levels below (would be harder of course, but could be possible).
Troyen wrote:Also, are the talk scenes random? I've gotten about eight for Thalia, two for Kira, and one for Joanne (:(), and nothing in a long while. Some characters I haven't even had a chance to combo (e.g. Joanne and the elf).
Not random but a few days must pass. However if you do all the dialogues for Thalia, as you probably have noticed, after a certain dialogue that character gets "locked" to Thalia. So for example if you made past a certain point with Therjalla (the elf) and Thalia, Joanne cannot talk with her anymore because the romance is locked.
But the romances should work fine, I never got a complaint about that since the beginning of the beta. Of course some characters can be found at certain locations only during night or day (but that's explained in the tutorial).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Also, do you rob the Nobles or Merchants? because they give MUCH more XP than 20-60 each encounter :) For example:
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

jack1974 wrote:
Troyen wrote:Also, is something up with the experience gain on normal mode? I've been doing the catacombs (cleared to level 4, now it wants level 9 characters) and nightly robberies, but my characters are only level 6. I just bought the level 10 story mission, but that's a ... lot of grinding nobles to get to level 10. That's also after spending a bunch of gold getting everyone a new outfit and Joanna a new wand.
I thought that doing the catacombs, and a few robberies "between each level" should be enough. However many tweaks were made, so I am not sure (and I don't have the time to replay it). Maybe I could give more EXP in Easy/Normal mode, and keep current level for harder difficulties?
I'll try and keep track of how many encounters I need between levels 9 and 10. I'm just getting something like 200-1000 gold on a robbery mission and maybe 200 exp, so I only need a few nights to advance the story but I need many nights to keep the girls on par with the suggested levels for everything. I'm still equipping gems, haven't begun selling them yet - which'll accelerate my gold income even more.

The catacombs are giving a bit of experience...sometimes. Level 2 was good because of the masked priest and his bonuses. But the boss battles on the other floors aren't significantly different from normal encounters exp wise, and there are roughly as many rooms as a noble mansion, so it's kind of like doing a noble robbery. And I can't go back and replay the rooms I've cleared.

I'm also doing these a level or two under the recommendation, so there shouldn't be an exp penalty.
Troyen wrote:Update: ok, I did the level 10 mission at level 7 and it wasn't too bad, but now the next set is level 15. I bought all the outfits, am working on buying all the weapons, and I'll probably be level 9 by the time I clear catacombs level 5 and have my 15k gold. Am I doing something wrong to be so underleveled? I have not skipped a robbery on a single night, and I've been picking encounters near my level (merchants for 1-5, nobles starting at 6). I get 20-60 exp per encounter, so it takes...a lot of encounters to level.
Ah OK - well the level requirement for the fixed missions it's more a suggestion, and of course in Normal level if you're good enough it's possible to win even if you're a few level below. But (unless I remember badly but I don't think) you can do a level 15 mission no matter what your level is. Only matters the gold. If you have enough gold, you can do the mission even if you're 5 levels below (would be harder of course, but could be possible).
Yeah, I'm fine with going underleveled - I did do SotW on nightmare after all. It's just I'm not sure the average player that would pick normal would know that, so it seems like it might be extra grindy for them. Then again, this is 1.0.2 so I don't know how many complaints you've gotten.

So far the catacomb suggested levels seem about right. Stat-wise, the fights aren't that bad when underleveled, but I certainly would like the extra skill or two I'd have when being the recommended level. (Paralysis is more of a challenge to deal with in this game.) The story ones seem rather high, but I can't retry them, so I'm less willing to try 7 levels early in case I get stuck in a corner. :p
Troyen wrote:Also, are the talk scenes random? I've gotten about eight for Thalia, two for Kira, and one for Joanne (:(), and nothing in a long while. Some characters I haven't even had a chance to combo (e.g. Joanne and the elf).
Not random but a few days must pass. However if you do all the dialogues for Thalia, as you probably have noticed, after a certain dialogue that character gets "locked" to Thalia. So for example if you made past a certain point with Therjalla (the elf) and Thalia, Joanne cannot talk with her anymore because the romance is locked.
But the romances should work fine, I never got a complaint about that since the beginning of the beta. Of course some characters can be found at certain locations only during night or day (but that's explained in the tutorial).
Oh, we can go out at night? I must've missed that.

I've been doing all the ones I can find, and I think my highest relationship is a heart and a half (with all the right answers). I'm working on the 15,000 gold mission, so I was wondering if I'm behind or normal since I don't know how long the game is. Then again, I don't think I've seen the registration screen so maybe this is still the demo phase.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

jack1974 wrote:Also, do you rob the Nobles or Merchants? because they give MUCH more XP than 20-60 each encounter :) For example:
True, the snakes give more, but there's like one snake room (sometimes) and one plant room per house, and mostly guards and guard dogs. Once I hit level 9, I'll record my exp gains and encounters so you can see how long it takes to go from 9 to 10 and if that's the intended rate.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm wait. You shouldn't be able to do the 15000 gold mission in the demo!!! Can you send me some saves :lol: I think you're progressing much faster than intended. But probably it's because you're playing in Normal but more skilled :)
The demo should end around day 8 Solaria in-game time.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Ah, I was on Day 8 so the trial just ended. Now that I know I can go outside at night I also see the 20 other romance options too. :P
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, AT NIGHT FABULOUS THINGS HAPPENS IN AHKRA!!!! :mrgreen: 8)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Okay, exp log. At the start of this I'm 3855/4700 (partway into Level 8 ). For perspective, I also have ~1300/15000 gold for the next story mission and have cleared catacombs level 5. I've also bought all the outfits (but only two weapons because I don't like the stats on the others).

All exp values are for an individual sister.

Noble Robbery #1 (threat level 5-8): 194 xp, -100 gold (old man), bunch of gems (forgot to count) and 2 medium healing pots
49 - Food Cart: Heavy Guard, Watch Dog x2, Veteran Guard
27 - Random: Watch Dog x2, Veteran Guard
48 - Random/Trap: Heavy Guard, Light Guard, Watch Dog, Medium Guard
70 - Coffin Trap: Four giant spiders

Noble Robbery #2: 432 xp, 166 gold, 200 gp gem
39 - Guarded Door: Light Guard x3, Medium Guard
35 - Trapped Floor: Light Guard, Medium Guard, Watch Dog x2
74 - Random: Elite Guard x3, Retired Mage, Watch Dog
72 - Plant Trap: Giant Plant, Corrosive Plant x2
158 - Pit Trap: Giant Snake x3, Acid Snake
54 - Thief Ambush: Thief x2, Assassin x2

Noble Robbery #3: 107 xp, 152 gold, 3350gp in gems
52 - Plant Trap: Giant Plant, Carnivorous Plant
55 - Guarded Vault: Medium Guard x2, Light Guard x3

Noble Robbery #4: 292 xp, 2100gp in gems
25 - Cellar Entrance: Giant Bat x3, Vampire Bat x2
24 - Random Encounter: Watch Dog x2, Veteran Guard
74 - Trapped Floor: Light Guard, Medium Guard, Heavy Guard x2, Watch Dog (This tipped me to level 9)
88 - Trap! Earth Elemental Boss
81 - Guarded Vault: Light Guard, Medium Guard, Heavy Guard x2, Watch Dog

Ended at 4880 exp, so roughly a thousand above where I started and 5285 gold (I haven't sold all my gems yet).

So on average, it looks like I need 17 encounters to go a full level, or 85 between story missions. If the last mission suggests level 25, that's 425 battles (for reference, I think someone was saying SotW was a bit over 400 if you did everything). On the other hand, four robberies got me over a third of the way to the 15k story mission if I sell everything. Thus, approximately a dozen robberies plus a catacombs level and I'll have the gold, but only 3/5 levels.

The boss fights feel like they could give a tad more exp, they offer about the same as a normal encounter, and even though it's just a single mob and roughly the same difficulty, the exp boost would make them feel more like a bonus so they stand out. Also I'd say boost the guard amounts, they seem undervalued (slight boost to Light, more to Medium, Heavy, Veteran because of their abilities). And the bats also reward very little for how powerful they are - I actually got too cocky and had to retry this fight.

The tutorial said that mercenaries houses offer more exp, but I need ever increasing amounts of gold for the story and supposedly they don't offer good rewards. (I haven't tried one yet.)

Back to typos:
Moirgane.rpy 1900:
The tavern returned to normal...

Moirgane.rpy 1917:
as much as she would have liked... (to match the tense of the rest)

rooms.rpy 956:
Still, can't sell it on. We should rob whoever makes them. (She's talking about a chair, but I think you're missing a word in the first sentence.)

MaryAnn.rpy 552:
...the next day (no s)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks, I've been thinking indeed to offer some more XP as reward for the boss fights. I might try that and also increase slightly the guards/bats :)