in which mode did you play the game?

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm

You may select 1 option

View results

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Doing this poll (also will probably do it for other games like PSCD) to get some feedback. It's not like that from its results I'll change dramatically what I do in future games, but it's interesting for me to know what people want :) thanks
Zeta123
Young scout

Re: in which mode did you play the game?

Post by Zeta123 »

I played in visual mode because I think the robberies are a bit repetitive. I actually enjoyed the battles in Loren and SOTW. I just think in QoT the battles don't really move the plot. In other words, eventhough I didn't enjoy the rpg part in QoT, I want to see future rpgs from you :D
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha yes, it's not like I won't make more RPGs if I get 100% "VN Mode" answers. It's mostly for my own curiosity :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Planet Stronghold and Loren were the reasons why I'm here today, although I've learned to appreciate visual novels in recent years.

Optional battles aside, combat in Loren moved along with the plot. In QoT, robberies/combat felt like a grind for resources/exp. I don't mind combat intensive RPGs, but said combat system has to be strong enough to hold it's own.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

For QoT, if I could go back in time I would have done more story-based robbery missions, and some optional randomized ones on the side, but not like it is now. Sadly it was already too late and would have required too much work :oops:
Well something to remember for future games, no randomized missions. Of course SOME people liked it, but I think the majority didn't.
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

I think the key is this, if the game is survival/rogue-like then randomized combat missions are the way to go, if the game is on the other hand story based then the combat missions for the most part need to tie into the story's plot. If you keep that in mind when building your combat(or in this case robbery) missions you will be fine. As others have said, Loren and SOTW were done right in that most missions were tied to the story plot.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

I am here mainly for VN side of your games, I found about your games true VNDB and VN side is the reason that I like your games and that I stayed here. But if a game has an RPG side I will always play it in RPG mode for the first time because I want to get the whole experience.
For a second play to see other romances I will pretty much always play in VN mode if there is an option to do so.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

pahldus wrote:I think the key is this, if the game is survival/rogue-like then randomized combat missions are the way to go, if the game is on the other hand story based then the combat missions for the most part need to tie into the story's plot. If you keep that in mind when building your combat(or in this case robbery) missions you will be fine. As others have said, Loren and SOTW were done right in that most missions were tied to the story plot.
Yes of course :) I mean, I had this clear too BEFORE starting the game. I think the main issue was when I couldn't figure out a way to progress the game, so basically I used money as way to get towards the goal, but to get money you should rob and you also use it to buy stuff... so that was also part of the issue.
But apart that, I have well clear how to do the future RPGs!! :mrgreen:
DarkWolf wrote:I am here mainly for VN side of your games, I found about your games true VNDB and VN side is the reason that I like your games and that I stayed here. But if a game has an RPG side I will always play it in RPG mode for the first time because I want to get the whole experience.
For a second play to see other romances I will pretty much always play in VN mode if there is an option to do so.
I suspect you and those after the story will really enjoy Roger Steel. Yes it's a RPG, but is built around the story first. There are a lot of choices and branching, and if Fen doesn't go nuts coding it in Ren'Py (it was first written in a normal screenplay format) I believe the result could be great. Maybe next year... :)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote:
DarkWolf wrote:I am here mainly for VN side of your games, I found about your games true VNDB and VN side is the reason that I like your games and that I stayed here. But if a game has an RPG side I will always play it in RPG mode for the first time because I want to get the whole experience.
I suspect you and those after the story will really enjoy Roger Steel. Yes it's a RPG, but is built around the story first. There are a lot of choices and branching, and if Fen doesn't go nuts coding it in Ren'Py (it was first written in a normal screenplay format) I believe the result could be great. Maybe next year... :)
The last I read about Roger Steel was that you ware still searching for new artist so I just assumed, still searching for artist = work on art haven't even started yet = won't be out any time soon. Glad to hear that that isn't the case :) .
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think I found a reliable artist but I'm not going to post anything until I have all the art done. But I am talking about the writing, it's almost done and should be all finished before end of year. 300k words :shock: biggest game ever but also one with the most branching/paths possible. Will be "fun" to code :lol: