Queen Of Thieves beta 0.8.7

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Queen Of Thieves beta 0.8.7

Post by jack1974 »

The mirror damage bug seems the same thing as before, goes from 2 to zero. I don't know why either in this case. I think I've reached the limits of this framework and everything is falling apart. Better release the game now!
(99.999% of players won't even notice :lol:)
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

jack1974 wrote:but I think it's their associated skill that influence the delay. So in this case it's 10.
it feels much longer than a wait of 10 but than your timer system is anyway one of the huge unsolved problems for mere players : D
A mystery
okay, correction: not only for mere players but also the mastermind behind everything
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha I've been working too much clearly! About your last save: it's correct that with the Magic Sparks goes from 2 to zero: first because the magic sparks reduces the buffs, second because the magic mirror loses 1 duration every time it's used. So it's like:
1) cast magic sparks
2) hit mage with mirror damage, decrease duration by 1
3) mirror damage reflects back the sparks spell, but like in all other cases, decrease duration by 1
result, if was 3 now is 1. If was 2, now it's zero :)

So at least in this case all is going fine. The Paralyze 2 to zero instead is still a mystery :oops:
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

but the guard with 3 turns mirror looses all of them and this shouldn't be possible : )
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes sorry, I also changed a parameter here. Anyway, on next update will work as it should. Before the mirror effect was decreasing each turn (like a normal buff effect) instead it's like Bramblecoat and others, which have a counter that decreases only when it's triggered (in this case when reflects back an attack).
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

I think we talk past each other : ) In the save I mailed you the guard has 3 turns of Mirror. As soon as Sparks hit him the buff is removed completely, before he can act again. In the small battle log window below it sounds as if a sparks hit of _another target_ reduced the mirror effect.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah OK. Well, anyway, I found a different bug that was fixed :) Tomorrow maybe the heat won't be as crazy as today so I'll be able to find out more :)
Sometimes might just be wrong the log though, and the results correct.
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

I would never have read the log if I didn't see something fishy in the GUI ^^
myoksy
Druid

Post by myoksy »

Okay, here we go. I just finished all romance variants and the party is in mid-game of my fourth play-through - a good point for a more or less final inquest of QoT beta.

Your game is not bug-free (elemental bosses and counter-attack damage blobs come to mind) but the game is stable and fun to play. I like the combat system, encounter design and skill tree and the story holds it nicely together.

There are a few traits I don't like though those are based on personal preferences or are bearable.

GUI:
The inconsistencies are distracting, mostly for the two types of dungeons. Why can one leave the catacombs but not the robbery screen? You're argument "it's not important as there is no time limit" is correct but form a player's PoV it's inconvenient and not understandable. Why does one see the consumables and has access the party screen in mansions but not catacombs?

Combat:
The aggro system is totally opaque, I never learnt to estimate how actions change aggro levels.

Story:
I did not explore the whole decision tree and did not take the hate or jealousy route. Therefore I saw only the positive outcomes of all the monogamous relationships.

It seems that most of the backstory is explained in the straight talks, the homosexual story lines are comparatively shallow and a player should explore all variants to get the most out of the game.

I still think the missing option in the Kira/Moirgane makes the PC instantly more unlikable...

The approach to use gold as a MacGuffin is on the one hand understandable but on the other hand frustrating. The player has to amass money but all the gold has no function except as story driver.

Money as game mechanics has only a meaning in the first half game hour or so: The first 750 gold are significant as it allows to replace one weapon. After that I need 500 gold more (2nd replaced weapon, the start weapon of the thief fits in my game style and stays) and every couple or triple of dungeons a potion or a bomb. (and a few hundreds of gold to redress the mage and thief but this is a personal preference and not strictly needed - I am simply not a fan of the stripperific and school girl aesthetics).

Pacing:
This may be bad luck with this play-through but the proportion between gold and XP is off, this was with two former play-throughs (0.7.x) better. My party is level 10 just finished the second story dungeon. My next goal is level 15 and 15000 gold and I already own 30k. I didn't play it differently (catacomb at the recommended levels, merchants until lvl 4/5, after that nobles) but this could be related to randomized drops and gold amount. Does currently anyone else play a complete game with 0.8.x?

Conclusion:
You did great work and the game is much more polished and the improvements in the last month formidable. Release it already.

How long until a DLC? I am bored : )
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks for the mini-review. I agree the game is already "bugfree enough" and content complete for a release. I'll still try to see if I can squeeze those last bugs, even if probably most players won't notice it.

Regarding the pacing I think the tweaks to the random drop/more treasure rooms in the blueprints really did the change. However since there's no time limit, and you can basically run the shop indefinitely, I don't think is a big issue. I am not totally happy with the final system, but considering this game wasn't even supposed to have RPG gameplay, I think I did a good job.

Sorry, a DLC for the game is not planned for now, since I've learned that is better to wait first and see how the base game does. However if I do it, will be a classic RPG with story-based fights. No more randomized stuff :)