possible "game over" idea

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
kadakithis
Druid

Re: possible "game over" idea

Post by kadakithis »

You dont need autosave at all, I just don't find permanent death a really satisfying conclusion due to at that point you will reload anyway. So warn people, and they will save, and then probably reload, but if you dont warn them they may quit in frustration because replaying the last 2-6 hours because the rules changed is seen as not worth it and players will feel tricked or cheated.

But how about taking their stuff? Lose crystals/money or some other resource more than normal and you hurt players without making them feel they have to replay the game. If something needs to be punishing, making them fight out of a cave or taking their things is a good idea. Or lose the use of a character in the next battle as they are out for the count due to helping everyone escape.

I play a lot of DnD and shaking things up (in a way that makes sense) usually can make the game more fun or challenging, killing people doesn't do anything new, since they just replay but narrative punishments or new mechanics can be refreshing and feel rewarding when conquered.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes you're right - there's no point since people would just save before and reload.
It wasn't to make the game harder though: was because from narrative point of view was a bit weird. I mean they can use invisibility and run from the houses untouched/undetected, so I feel like there would be no "sense of danger" since they can actually never die.
On the other hand, probably it's how it should work since this game is much more "casual" since its inception, and not "hardcore" like how SOTW was*:)

* I had many non-hardcore players complain about the limited resources in SOTW, no autoheal after each battle etc. For me was fine: but I don't want to make another game with "those problems" just after this one. More variety is needed.
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

Its a flip in the air some people view resource management as a hassle even if they are hardcore, and others like more the tactical effort of it. Like in SotW I was just as annoyed at the lack of resources as having to deal with so many slots for equipment in Loren and SotW.

Sometimes a more laid back atmosphere means it needs more relaxed gameplay. How about this, if they lose its described how the dogs do chase them and it was too much of a fight, and then battling the mercenaries are too much for them and is no longer an option. Someone who wants the exp will feel like they lost something, and you imply the danger when the sisters outright say they can't do that again because they almost died and next time they wont be so lucky.

The Traders and Bandits are still an option but they lost an oppurtunity because they lost, since the option is for those wanting exp anyway, it feels like a fairly good way to show danger and make sense without outright killing them?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The problem is that there isn't just "a mercenary", but it's a category of houses/mansions/places to rob. They'll be pseudo-randomly generated on each game to add more variety.
Anyway, I haven't coded yet how the house will look (I'm just writing scenes for now) so it's better to wait and see how they play before deciding :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I want really hilarious scenes where they totally goof up, get chased by guard dogs, lose their boots/pants to the dogs, drop the loot, limp home and blame each other for messing everything up. Something that's funny and worthwhile to read, even when you lose.

Not game overs.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha that wouldn't be a bad idea :)