dungeons exploration

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: dungeons exploration

Post by jack1974 »

Yes indeed I was thinking to not show it. After all, the stats are shown. But players could wonder why some monsters have higher stats than others still? Especially when there are 2 or more of the same kind and different levels. Not sure how to explain it... maybe I'll just put some + to display the relative difficulty of the monster vs base values.
Or maybe some "stars" since it's more cool to see :)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

** (out of five). Ghoul monster had great lines but seemed to lack enthusiasm.

Jokes aside, I think RPG players would understand the same type of monster can have different stats even without the rating system. The difficulty rating is only useful if it's accurate across different monsters, otherwise it's misleading (like in SotW).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK then better not have any rating indeed, since it would be impossible to have a "global rating" for each monster :)
Beside now there's more space to put more descriptions for enemies (like the Skeleton Mage or the Warrior):
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Since we're nitpicking the interface anyway:
1) Have you tried removing "Encounter type"? I think it might look better. It looks a bit weird since it should have the title treatment too, and yet shouldn't because you would have title upon title if you did.
2) Why does it need to say total exp? Can you kill some and run away/lose and still get some of it?
3) Winning -> Victory. Of this I am sure.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes encounter type can be removed and just display "Catacomb exploration" or "Robbery mission". Total exp is the total experience you'll get from battle, in SOME battle you might only need to kill a specific enemy (like in SOTW), however I don't think I've implemented it yet (not sure I will). For now I'll leave it as that.
Winning=victory, yes :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Those cultists are the first enemy who can actually resurrect (but only Skeletons!). They are a powerful enemy.
I don't know why but having enemies with FEWER skills and fewer party in general, makes each change have much more importance/weight in the gameplay, vs SOTW or Loren. Quite pleased by how the battles are done so far :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I read "Marx Cultist" at first. :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

In that case, the Raise Dead skill would be Raise Salary :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I've finished the catacombs today. Only 3 days late from my self-imposed deadline of end of August :)
I can't say anything about the end battle and what happens for obvious reasons, but now I can send the sources to Forsaken who in the next weeks will rewrite it so people can experience a cool writing beside my stupidly hard battles :wink:

Next step, design and code the robbery missions, then we'll be at very good point with this game, coding-wise :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'm retesting the catacombs again (quickly, using cheats) with the new rewritten texts by writer. I'm also adding all expressions/sounds, so this part is 100% done and I won't need to touch it again! last famous words (tm)

See, the old Apolimesho has fans too! :wink: