potion/bomb/items sets

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

potion/bomb/items sets

Post by jack1974 »

Following the main philosophy of this game, that is a CASUAL RPG, with focus on accessibility and easy to learn, I coded the pre-mission screen. Before you begin a mission (I'm doing the dungeon/catacombs for now) you can pick from a set of 8 predefined extra items to use in your entire mission (so they don't refill after each battle!).
Currently I have the following (copy-pasting because I'm lazy):
"First Aid Set":"Basic HP recovery set, consisting of 3 basic healing potions (each potion will heal 15HP).",
"Recovery Set":"Basic SP recovery set, consisting of 3 basic energy potions (each potion will give 3SP).",
"Mixed Set":"Mixed set, consisting of 2 basic healing potions (each potion will heal 15HP) and 2 basic energy potions (each potion will give 3SP).",
"Healer Set":"Advanced HP recovery set, consisting of 3 medium healing potions (each potion will heal 30HP).",
"Energy Set":"Advanced SP recovery set, consisting of 3 medium energy potions (each potion will give 5SP).",
"Offensive Set":"Offensive set containing: 2 basic explosive bomb (each will deal 15dmg), 1 weakness potion (will reduce target's attack by half) and 1 slow potion (will reduce target's speed by half).",
"BOH":"Description",
"BUH":"Description",
as you see I'm missing the last two, which should be the most powerful. I think will put some healing+resurrection potions in one, while the other maybe will have a bit of everything.
Since those are the missions made to help the town guards, you won't have to pay for the equipment yourself, but access will be limited based on your party's fame. In the "robbery missions" made by your party instead you'll have to buy the sets, without any Fame restriction, but obviously the most powerful sets will be VERY expensive :wink:
yayswords
Elder Druid

Re: potion/bomb/items sets

Post by yayswords »

Now that you posted this, I had to check what the delay for using items is, and I noticed it actually costs 1 SP to throw a potion. Surely not intended? :)
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No need to still define them, of course potions won't cost anything :)
(I think that value won't be used in any case, even if you put 100 SP it wouldn't cost anything)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

They're all restoration related until you reach 60 fame, which means there often won't be a choice (probably Mixed set once you unlock it). I'd recommend moving the offensive set down earlier - maybe the 10 or 20 fame slot - and bump everything else up. You may need to adjust the items, but I'm not sure the Offensive set can compete with some of those medium potions, or even be worthwhile by the time you unlock it.

Having an offensive option available earlier on would allow the player to pick between an offensive or defensive strategy on their skill builds while it's still easy to gain skills. If I wanted to change my strat at say...level 15, it's a bit late to do so.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yeah I might change this "Fame" thing into something else.
I wanted to avoid using money, but maybe I should find some other "currency". I mean instead of a threshold level, something you can "spend", which is not money though :) this way if for example you successfully complete 3 missions, gives you 100 "stuff", and then you can choose how to spend it at start of every mission. Maybe that will work better since is similar to the other version with normal money to spend...
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

The offensive potions are good, the bombs sound like total trash. 15 damage? I'm not saying you couldn't possibly design an encounter so that they would be better than the SP potions for offensive power, but I don't see it as likely.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well they also do bleeding, not useful on undeads but on other enemies for sure :) Anyway, as always those values are temporary until testing starts.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Bleeding is what I would have suggested actually, so that's good to hear.

Also I assume that we keep leftovers?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

All items are reset whenever you enter a mission/exploration. But you keep what you don't use in a battle in the next one.
I want items to be something ultra-rare so winning battles is not a matter of spamming healing potions/bombs like in SOTW :lol:
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

jack1974 wrote:I want items to be something ultra-rare so winning battles is not a matter of spamming healing potions/bombs like in SOTW :lol:
You hear that, fabulaparva. Jack does not condone your easymode alcoholic approach. Regen dancers rejoice.

I'm pretty lonely in the rejoicing...