alpha/prototype build 0.5.1

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

alpha/prototype build 0.5.1

Post by jack1974 »

So I've managed to upload this:
http://www.macgames.biz/games/QoT-0.5.1-all.zip (my backup server)
sorry not going to use CDN for just a prototype! :) should still download fine.

What's new in 0.5.1
- implemented new system to calculate damage
- bramblecoat, counterattack and mirror damage now have a counter that decreases only when hit

Obviously, it's a mess! Thief defensive skilltree is missing a skill, and for sure several skills will be tweaked/changed. You have just "first tier" gear equipped, and all the armors give no particular bonuses (are all identical). Only Thalia weapon gives +10 critical, while other classes weapons are lame.

So what I'm mainly looking for is the feedback on the battle mechanic themselves, the 3 vs many, the defense/armor that goes down on each hit, and such.
Also notice that the battle positioning bonus is not present (I'm still thinking if to add that or just display the enemy info on the team setup). And you can learn and use in battle the "combo skills", since the combo mechanics aren't working either :lol: But of course those skills can't be accessed easily, so if you play with them enabled, remember that in a normal game you won't be able to use them every turn (building a combo will take time).

So there isn't much yet, but will try to add the missing stuff next week if I have time :o
yayswords
Elder Druid

Re: alpha/prototype build 0.5

Post by yayswords »

SOLOED LAST BOSS BUFF PLZ

(is there a last boss?)
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Only two waves, first 3 skeleton warrior (which are tougher enemy, but 3 vs 3) and then 5 normal skeletons (which are weaker, but are still 5 vs 3 so should be a tougher battle). You can play "endless mode" though :lol:
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Okay, the game is great! Absolutely fantastic, just this small little problem where it crashes when I press new game :D
Spoiler:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 210, in script
python:
ScriptError: could not find label 'start'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\Albert\Desktop\QoT-0.5-all\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 288, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Users\Albert\Desktop\QoT-0.5-all\renpy\main.py", line 395, in main
run(restart)
File "C:\Users\Albert\Desktop\QoT-0.5-all\renpy\main.py", line 77, in run
renpy.execution.run_context(True)
File "C:\Users\Albert\Desktop\QoT-0.5-all\renpy\execution.py", line 684, in run_context
context.run()
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 210, in script
python:
File "C:\Users\Albert\Desktop\QoT-0.5-all\renpy\script.py", line 602, in lookup
raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))
ScriptError: could not find label 'start'.

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.99.4.438
Queen Of Thieves 0.5
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha forgot a file, will reupload it :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK redownload it now, it should be fine (I tried it this time!).
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I'm trying to run a holy trinity (tank/healer/DPS) setup with them, but too many defense-related things don't work. The defense restoration spell doesn't work, the shield wall ability doesn't appear, and the Defend (Rest) ability seems to do nothing. If those worked I don't think this would be too terrible, as they seem happy to try to keep hitting a guarded Thalia.

I crank it up to nightmare after the first wave (because I forget to do it earlier :P) but the second wave just chews through Kira's unhealable defense and then goes Thalia.

Not about the battle system but could Joanne have SOME free attack? As in, not needing to skill Magic Bolt. Because if I use her purely on defense I either have to move (which can put her at risk) or defend (which has huge delay) or waste mana on a random spell just to use her turn. Well, unless I have potions I guess. Also, Kira gets a free skill but the other two don't :P

Defense however feels a lot like absorption here.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, many skills are untested so I'm not sure what actually works. The offensive skills yes, and Joannes' defensive (Bramblecoat/Reflect damage) too. But some are broken as you found out. The enemies now will really focus more on the "aggro" character, so for example Taunt will have a much bigger effect than in other games.

Yes, I'm planning to add a Magic Bolt of sort for Joanne :) there will be potions, but very limited usage each battle (I'm thinking like 3 healing potions max each battle).

The defense thing is essential to keep the non-warrior alive, I think once Joanne's defense restoration works could be more interesting.

Well, this was just a sort of teaser, I'm planning to fix all the skills in next days and also come up with the missing Thief skill!
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Yeah this is a little too buggy :P

I think the defense mechanic is pretty much the only thing to talk about (but I could write a novel about the skill trees if you asked me to :D). At least I should say it makes criticals quite brutal, since it seems the damage is doubled before it's reduced by defense (but could be buggy damage predictions leading me to think that ^^).

Also, promote whoever made the battle music because it is beyond awesome.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Thalia's Backstab ability inflicts more damage than the predictor suggests. First it reduces the armor, then it applies damage on top of the lost armor. DOT effects are pretty devastating with these small numbers.

I wish there was a way to restore Defense. Kira, who I give a greater amount in constitution and skill, often falls as she gets dogpiled by mobs, especially when outnumbered by foes with a speed advantage.

Is the damage in Joanne's spells determined by strength? Anyways, outside of damage, her offensive skills don't have interesting properties like Kira or Thalia's.

Critical hits can be devastating, unlike SOTW, which are barely noticeable. However, they don't happen often enough without investing heavily in Accuracy. Either gains critcal % needs to increase for every point put in accuracy, or there needs to be certain skills or equipment that can multiply their chances of occuring.

On the skills tab, there needs to be number that displays how many skill points are available.
Last edited by Jaeger on Fri May 15, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.