alpha/prototype build 0.5.1

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: alpha/prototype build 0.5.1

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, will do that. With unlimited grinding and even the option to flee from battle (for non-plot battles of course) it shouldn't be a problem even keeping current enemy level up :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I've finished Kira's skilltree (offensive/defensive). I tested all skills and they seem to work fine :)
I've also changed the Accuracy->Critical Hit increase: now every TWO POINTS spent on Accuracy will increase Critical Hit by 1%. Otherwise, at level 25 if you put all points in Accuracy you would have 30% Critical Hit, and this not considering even the bonus given by armor or skills. Getting a critical hit every 3 normal hit would be a bit too much! :lol:
I'm going to do Thalia now and keep Joanne's as last, since the Mage will need some planning. I want to have base damage but also some side effect or condition that can interact with other gameplay mechanics, as said before...
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Is it possible to have fractional Critical Hit increases? Like each point increases it by 0.5%? Otherwise every other point is "wasted" until you can spend two.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

In reality behind the scenes is what happens, but for practical purposes for example I display 17% instead of 17.5% :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

jack1974 wrote:I've finished Kira's skilltree (offensive/defensive). I tested all skills and they seem to work fine :)
I've also changed the Accuracy->Critical Hit increase: now every TWO POINTS spent on Accuracy will increase Critical Hit by 1%. Otherwise, at level 25 if you put all points in Accuracy you would have 30% Critical Hit, and this not considering even the bonus given by armor or skills. Getting a critical hit every 3 normal hit would be a bit too much! :lol:
I'm going to do Thalia now and keep Joanne's as last, since the Mage will need some planning. I want to have base damage but also some side effect or condition that can interact with other gameplay mechanics, as said before...
If you put all points into Accuracy, won't your character be seriously weak in other areas? I mean, what is the point in raising critical, if you cannot derive raw damage from strength, constitution/skill for surviability, or agility to act more often?
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Jaeger is right, at least about the strength part. I thought I explained that well enough. If we say whoever dumps everything into acc ends up with 5 str 30 acc at level 25, that's 150 raw damage. The most even split at 17 str 18 acc is 306 raw damage. No matter the enemy's defense, the second split will do more damage on non-crits than the first will do on crits.

I'm not sure what kind of numbers you were working with when you made your decision, but at the end of the day, with the current system, there's no sense in nerfing accuracy based on what happens if you pump only accuracy. All the player is accomplishing is shooting themselves in the foot.

Also how does speed/delay work in QoT? It's the next big thing to know!
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

What about simply do away with the Defense stat can just work with HP? You can still have damage mitigation in the form equipment and skills.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Wait the only thing I'm changing is the CRITICAL HIT chance. 1 attribute point is still 1 accuracy. So that's unchanged. I am only changing the critical hit, not base/normal damage calculations. Because if it's even only at 25% means that 1 hit out of 4 will be critical, and in this game is double damage, so it's quite likely can kill off an enemy or seriously damage it. It would be a cheat mode :lol:
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Yes but I'm saying if you dump everything into accuracy you will eventually do less damage with crits than someone who balances acc with str does with hits. You seem to be staring yourself blind at crit chance here.

I'm sure you can easily give yourself high attributes to test with, so just compare a 20 str/20 acc character to one with 5 str and 35 acc. See which one your monsters should really be afraid of.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I just tried, of course the balanced one is more powerful :)
I also tried a 31 AT 2 AC vs 2 AT and 15 AC (with the current system), and the 31 AT was doing more damage.
I tried another time with old system, so 31 AC and still the one with 31AT did more damage. So yeah I'm reverting back to the old system :)
yayswords wrote:Also how does speed/delay work in QoT? It's the next big thing to know!
Regarding this is the same system as SOTW but instead of 100 base value I picked lower values, characters usually starts at 5-6 speed. The current wait formula is:

Code: Select all

wait = pSkill.cWait / self.getValue("Speed")
which of course will be tweaked. I want speed to have some impact, while we limit HP and SP so it's not like players can spam special attack like in Loren/SOTW with super speed, even just the normal attack can do damage in the long run if a character is too fast. So I'll need to see a bit during testing but probably will reduce the impact a bit!