Question about a character's name

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: Question about a character's name

Post by Franka »

It's also a racist term in other places than the US, just so you know.
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

Post by Thee Forsaken One »

Franka wrote:It's also a racist term in other places than the US, just so you know.
I don't really care if it's more than one. It's a word of American English origin according to dictionaries and, as I pointed out, Google returns far more references to Russian martial arts than its racist use. The fact that the wiki page being referenced is full of dead links and missing citations tells you that the word clearly archaic and has little meaning. There are plenty of people called Sambo in the world (The Regional Director for the WHO in Africa is Dr Sambo) and most people seem to think its a martial art nowadays.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yeah but you know, considering that notoriously indie games are the "main source of corruption in the world" (tm), if I did that, FOR SURE I would face troubles. So better stay clear :lol:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Thee Forsaken One wrote:I don't really care if it's more than one.
The problem is not really whether you specifically care, is it?
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

jack1974 wrote:Yeah but you know, considering that notoriously indie games are the "main source of corruption in the world" (tm), if I did that, FOR SURE I would face troubles. So better stay clear :lol:
If I was a gambling person, I would put money on someone being offended by any of your games regardless of what you did. Someone somewhere will find a word or situation they find offensive. It just so happens this one was pointed out to you before you released. As it stands, it's a minor one and I've given examples of people in real life called Sambo. Are they racist or were their parents who were racist?

Also, Sambo in this game is white. If he were black then I might have some sympathy to those thinking the name should be changed but he's not black.
Franka wrote:
Thee Forsaken One wrote:I don't really care if it's more than one.
The problem is not really whether you specifically care, is it?
So ignore the rest of my points? My point about not caring was that I didn't care about your counterpoint because it was irrelevant to my argument. I admit I could have made that more clearly than how I put it originally.
Maelora
Woods ranger

Post by Maelora »

Ugh, I think the whole thing is completely ridiculous. In this internet of age of the perpetually-offended, there's always someone who's going to get upset. Vast tracts of the world would be seething over the fact the games contain romances, let alone gay and lesbian ones.

However, it's probably best that Jack changes this one, just for a quiet life. As long as it's not the start of a slippery slope and he starts cancelling games because North Korea start hacking his account...
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Thee Forsaken One wrote:So ignore the rest of my points? My point about not caring was that I didn't care about your counterpoint because it was irrelevant to my argument. I admit I could have made that more clearly than how I put it originally.
I was ignoring your points because you were treating it as an academic case, while there are more than just a few actual people out there who'd smack you in the mouth if you greeted them with "Hey, Sambo." It's not that archaic.

However, I absolutely agree with you that there'll be people offended by something no matter what you do, a point that I have brought up myself before.

I'd still pick my battles over more important things than the name of a fictional character that can be easily changed with a search-replace.
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

Franka wrote:
Thee Forsaken One wrote:So ignore the rest of my points? My point about not caring was that I didn't care about your counterpoint because it was irrelevant to my argument. I admit I could have made that more clearly than how I put it originally.
I was ignoring your points because you were treating it as an academic case, while there are more than just a few actual people out there who'd smack you in the mouth if you greeted them with "Hey, Sambo." It's not that archaic.
That's really not the same. What if their name was Sambo? It's like walking up to a black person and saying "Hello, Leroy". If that was their name then there's no issue. If it's not then I deserve a smack in the face.

I mean the Dr Sambo I mentioned before might be a little mad I didn't call him doctor but he couldn't accuse me of racism (Unless I proceeded to joke about his name also being a racist term in the US).

This isn't really about picking battles. I agree it is an easy change but my point is that starting down that road can lead to constantly changing yourself in order to not offend somebody. It just gives off the impression that you'll do anything if someone complains to you.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thee Forsaken One wrote: This isn't really about picking battles. I agree it is an easy change but my point is that starting down that road can lead to constantly changing yourself in order to not offend somebody. It just gives off the impression that you'll do anything if someone complains to you.
Yeah, I won't do anything people ask. But only avoiding troubles, and if for me changes nothing, yes. There's a guy asking to put lesbian harem endings in all my games since years, but there isn't a single one out yet.
(not that it would be a bad idea in itself, but a bit unrealistic :lol:)
Thee Forsaken One
Woods ranger

jack1974 wrote:
Thee Forsaken One wrote: This isn't really about picking battles. I agree it is an easy change but my point is that starting down that road can lead to constantly changing yourself in order to not offend somebody. It just gives off the impression that you'll do anything if someone complains to you.
Yeah, I won't do anything people ask. But only avoiding troubles, and if for me changes nothing, yes. There's a guy asking to put lesbian harem endings in all my games since years, but there isn't a single one out yet.
(not that it would be a bad idea in itself, but a bit unrealistic :lol:)
Not if you're playing a sorceress with hypnotic powers or queen who enjoys creating real harems. :P