new art thread

Previously known simply as "Undead Lily" or "Undead Lily and The Elemental Avengers"
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: new art thread

Post by Troyen »

an image of yesterday, I scrapped the work to redo the sprites at much higher quality - so even if you play fullscreen at 2560x1440 they'll be ultra-crisp!
Didn't quite get what you meant here? Are the sprites going to be high quality or not? (And how does that work? Aren't you limited to the original art quality?)
jack1974 wrote:Also the GUI is not the one of the game, but I'm going to add that as last.
jack1974 wrote:Also added a bit of the official GUI :)
Oh, so the game is almost here? :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Troyen wrote: Didn't quite get what you meant here? Are the sprites going to be high quality or not? (And how does that work? Aren't you limited to the original art quality?)
Usually almost all artist sends assets at very high resolution, like 4000x4000 pixels. Then of course if we used that resolution in a game, a single sprite PNG would be 2mb and they wouldn't run on mobile (a texture of 4000x4000 would be insane VRAM usage).
So I scale them down. Sometimes I scale them at 720px (the height) but in this case since are all fullbody, using that resolution was reducing the size too much.
This because Ren'Py is smart, if you go fullscreen, it keeps the character proportions but renders it at higher (non-scaled) resolution, more defined.
Hope I managed to explain lol
Troyen wrote: Oh, so the game is almost here? :)
Good joke :) The writing is not finished and I haven't even decided the exact gameplay!
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

Heh. I've been using a 1,440 x 2,560 resolution mobile phone for 2 years now, the same resolution as on my desktop.

I wonder how the 4k originals compare to 720px rendered at 4k. I know for photos this would be terrible, but for artwork I suppose it would depend on the level of detail in the original and how much of that detail was lost in the downscaling to 720.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think it's noticeable, but of course it's nitpicking :) In some cases like Love Bites artist rendered the characters to fit 720p vertical, so I can't do anything about that, but in many other cases the artist usually make them at much higher resolutions, so better take advantage. Of course remembering that the bigger the image is, the more video ram/space is used. Especially on mobile, video ram is valuable (on desktops unless you use a 8-9 years old computer doesn't matter!).
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

Yep, I can see low end mobile phones choking on the memory requirements for higher quality images, although high end phones should be able to handle them fairly easily. It's a pity about Love Bites. I'd have loved to seen its images in 4k, or at least in 2560x1440. oh well...
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

It was my fault since I didn't communicate clearly to artist the size :oops:
However I think they look good even if they were originally drawn at 720 :)
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

I really like the new art, especially the chaos art. (wipes the drool off his chin)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

I don't understand why do you go out of your way to lower a resolution of your games, I mean pretty much all game devs are trying to have a higher resolution not lower so I find it weird that someone who already has a higher resolution would intently lower it. I doubt many people would have a problem ruining your games configuration wise on a desktop PC and if you really want to make sure people can run your games even on toasters you can always just add resolution change option (I don't think that is much work, unless I am mistaken) and it would look a lot better for people who like to play their games on a big 4k screen plus it would be a good marketing as games in 4k are kinda new thing. As for size of data, well most Japanese VNs are a couple of GBs big and other games can get way bigger nowdays so I find it hard to believe that anyone would have a problem with this. As for mobile version, well based on your recent pool it doesn't seem like a smart move to lover resolution of all game versions just for a mobile version and you could always just do a mobile version in a lower resolution.

Now for a question, what is going on with a 2 different versions of art here?

PS: This is some very good art.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No you don't understand, the SCREEN resolution it's the same. It's the characters (also called sprites) resolution that was lower.
It's a bit hard to explain, but Renpy adapts the characters (if displayed with a zoom value) to the screen resolution.
I usually have my characters done at 1024px vertically (except for Love Bites but that was a misunderstanding as I said) so they're bigger than my 1280x720 resolution (so 720 vertical). Then I display them with a .7 zoom (more or less) to fit them.
Then if you play in fullscreen, Renpy keeps the screen ratio, but increases the pixel/definition. If you monitor supports 1920x1080 for example, means you'll see the character not zoomed out but at native resolution. So same proportion/size on screen, but higher details.

Ugh well, I am not sure if I explained it clearly enough haha. Anyway I'm definitely NOT lowering the resolution of my games! I am only scaling down the art I get from artists, since some of them make the art even at crazy 4000x4000px resolution, and if I used that, the games could have stuttering issues or run out of VRAM even on some 3-4 years old desktop computers (and they wouldn't run at all on many mobile devices!).
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

Why is Ace's scar moved (from right eye to left eye) between the two screens shots of him?