Hi, I'm new and had some questions about Loren

Fantasy RPG game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/lorenamazonprincess.htm
un_mog
Young scout

Re: Hi, I'm new and had some questions about Loren

Post by un_mog »

Yea right now Im using Loren in the front left, her mom in the front right, Myrth, Draco and Apol and Saren/Warrior front middle. I was very careful with the hero to make him both a good tank and fairly good at damage, though he can only really do single target damage. Still the amount of damage is comparable to Lorens, though not as good when she starts using her skills. I use his skills mostly to heal people or recharge their energy. I also have the ability to revive but I havent had to use it even once so far so maybe I shouldnt have maxed it out and left it at one or two. The only downfall with the hero Ive found is no ability to hit more than one target, and no ability to heal more than one target. Thats why I keep Myrth and Apol in the back for their group heals. Still, Im at level 20 now and just about to go into chapter five... mostly because I was grinding Etins for cash so I could get the gear I kept wanting. So now my whole team is outfitted in the best stuff I could get them, even the others Im not using [not counting the monk cuz meh he has his own special stuff.

Speaking of Karen, I did notice her spear was actually weaker in damage than the axe I gave her... I was wondering if spears used skill and axes use strength or something, so that she was stronger with a spear instead of an axe. I havent tested this theory but I plan to soon, to see if she does more damage with her special spear or just any ole weapon I can find that might have better damage.

Do explain though... how exactly is she good in the back row? She doesnt have any ranged skills and cant actually seem to use any "heavy" bows. Only the same ones any warrior can use, despite her being a thief. Maybe they should have just made her a warrior.
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

Karen has an ability that allows her to attack from the back row with a melee weapon from what I recall. It's been awhile since I've played however, and my memory is a bit foggy at this point. I don't recall her being able to use axes originally, so that may be new. There is a better selection of axes in the game than spears, and they tend to do more damage.
un_mog
Young scout

Post by un_mog »

Well considering melee damage is lessened if your not in the first row, I've always just kept her in front. She doesnt have a skill that allows otherwise as far as i know... they're all just various melee attacks like hit everyone in the first row or slow someone. She does have an ability called "Strike through" which hits a guy behind the first guy but thats not a ranged attack. Her favorite one though is only good on tough opponents, where all her strikes on a single target get more damaging. And, I'm going to test this axe vs spear theory.
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

it might be that the back row ability was changed to front row as part of the upgrade to make her and all around better front row fighter. I'd have to find the old discussion we had on the subject to refresh my memory.
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

Spears use Strength for Damage like all melee weapons. Only Whirlwind and Strike Trough require melee weapons though. Karens other skills can be used with a ranged weapon. Oh and if a ranged weapon is equipped and usable with the skill, it will be used when the character is in the backrow.
Oh and finally spears have a lower penalty for backrow use than other weapons.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
un_mog
Young scout

Post by un_mog »

Oh? Whats the normal penalty compared to the spear penalty? Idealy I figured spears wouldnt have a penalty for being used in the backrow but the damage still seemed similarly penalized. Also I thought the damage was based on the class, not the weapons. So even if the main character is a thief, if you use a sword or something then strength is more important? Is Skill 1/2 in that case for melee then? So skill is only for ranged in particular?
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

Spears have 75% attack in the backrow instead of 60% like other weapons. Damage is based on weapon type, attack is based on class.
Part-time emotionless AI
un_mog
Young scout

Post by un_mog »

ah so about 15% difference. I guess that explains them seeming about the same then, since axes in particular tend to have better damage. So from the backrow I guess that kinda balances each other out, but why axes still have the advantage in the front row. Makes sense what I was noticing now. Still seems Axes have the advantage though. Oh I was interested in getting the seasons of the wolf by the way, it mentions that theres more items, but I noticed all the item slots are the same. So I assume that means mostly theres more variety in items. How many more items is there in the new game?
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

You can get a powerful spear for Karen in her personal quest.
Seasons of the Wolf is using a random item generator. So my answer would be entirely too many, though that's personal preference.
Part-time emotionless AI
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

un_mog wrote: So I assume that means mostly theres more variety in items. How many more items is there in the new game?
There are "unique items", plus randomly generated item based on level. A bit like Diablo/Torchlight if you're familiar with those games :) So in theory the number of items is unlimited.