Battle tips & tricks thread

Fantasy RPG game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/lorenamazonprincess.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Battle tips & tricks thread

Post by jack1974 »

Melee attacks usually are faster than missile attacks. Beside the attack power, Warrior have much more HP than Thieves and I think that's the major difference (they die harder).
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Post by deathknight1728 »

jack1974 wrote:Melee attacks usually are faster than missile attacks. Beside the attack power, Warrior have much more HP than Thieves and I think that's the major difference (they die harder).
Hey jack, Im frustrated and I think Im doing it all wrong and frankly I dont know why. I first started out as a warrior and didnt really have any tactics for that class. It was just attack, attack, until enemy staggers, from there I just attack the staggered enemy as his abilities are lowered. I placed 2 points into strength and 1 into will every lvl and traits into toughness and hero healing traits. I found that I wasnt doing enough damage so I figured rogues might be better.

Boy was I wrong. I placed 2 points into choke for choke 2 and 2 strength and 1 dex every lvl. The problem was that there is no modifier for the rogues abilities (at least not to my knowledge). Every lvl he does the same 30 damage and rare chance of causing tired. Is there something Im missing as I might be better off with my warrior.

This is to jack, is there an attribute that modifies choke's damage other than strength? I figured it had to be that because choking someone is a strength/physical attack.
?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The attacks of the base Thief class in general are much weaker than the one of the specialization class. So I recommend to improve the specialization class in general, though it really varies depending on the strategy.
Differently from Planet Stronghold there isn't ONE way to win this game but several, depending on your playing style. If you check early posts in this thread, some people say Amukiki is useless, other says is very valuable, and so on. It really there isn't a valid answer I'd say.
As for your main character, the most useful class is the hero class with the healing skills. In this specific game it was really meant to be played with your character as a Warrior/Thief Healer. In the sequel there will be much more freedom :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

(Generally speaking, Rogues use Dex, not Str, to boost their attacks.)
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Post by deathknight1728 »

So other than the weapons thats for both classes and armor for each class, if a warrior with no toughness and a thief had 8 strength 8 skill and 8 will-basically, they would both be basically the same with health and everything. The only difference really is armor/weapon preferences. Its too bad that the thief doesnt have any passive skills because that would make them more viable.

As it stands I dont know if a thief/rogue makes much sense but whatever. I was going to use dexterity with strength for a rogue but because there is no passive, there really is nothing the rogue can do the warrior can do better. Daggers dont match up with swords and critical chance really isnt powerful in this game.
?
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Skill=Speed, so thief/rogue/whatchamacallit increases damage while also increasing speed, which gives more attack and thus more damage. Also, you'd usually give them bows, not daggers. I'd rather have a thief team than a warrior team, though that gets awfully glass machine gun. I prefer my MC as a rogue in any case. But then I'm a speed addict in this game.
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

You have three front row slots and three rear row slots. Melee weapons do less damage from the back row then from the front row, and archer thieves can use heavy missile weapons while warriors can not. So the question isn't really warrior or thief, but thief or mage. Furthermore those archer thieves with heavy bows and crossbows are also capable of killing squishy mages and other dangerous targets in the enemy back row too.
Kevralyn
Young scout

Post by Kevralyn »

Definitely a fan of the combat mechanics, good work with coming up with something interesting. Had some odd points though... ultimately found that gearing all +damage gear in every slot possible just felt way more powerful than any other option. It's too good! Didn't feel I needed anything tanky, as good aoe hits from some combination of Chambara/Draco/Dora (in strongest first, imho), would leave the enemy pretty decimated.

Magic is a fraction unbalanced. Not necessarily in power level, but elemental choice. Myrth's aoe I find less useful, especially in mixed elemental groups. Air weakness is underrepresented, so grabbing one level of air with Draco late is sufficient. One level of Water, Earth and Fire (in that order) with Chambara and/or Draco (and for Chambara then prioritizing 3 water, 2 earth 2 fire)... kinda based on what order these weaknesses mostly turn up in the plot. But then once you know where you need the elements, it's certainly going to be easier, aye?

In short, I guess I found Hard a bit easy (with exception of early act 2). I'd struggle to see how to make it harder without being unfair though. The enemies already combo really well and can gib a player with no warning when the attacks line up. Karen in particular... while an immensely powerful lady, gets victimized heavily as soon as you recruit her and almost perma-stunned until you build her up a bit.

Stagger worked as a mechanic on my first playthrough, but once you game the system a little, nearly none of the powerful attacks that require stagger make sense to use because the enemy is almost dead. Especially if the staggerer was Loren...

Hardest fight was definitely defending the Citadel against Grob. Had to reload and seriously tool up Karen/Elenor to tank. In the end, only won by outlasting the enemy's mp pool and draining it dry.

Found Elenor's abilities really tough to manage. I guess if you want her to be a damage dealer, thief with the elemental flasks exploiting the right weaknesses would do it (as Warrior has no damage multiplier attacks). Playing heavy healer though, Warrior to free up back row slots for more mages. I never played like these two styles though. My highest damage dealer was a heavy healer Thief (no thief talents, but purely down to heavy gearing). As for spells, Ward spell is great. Heal 3 heals a ton, but is mega slow.

Finally, buff spells felt useless to me. With more than one aoe class with you, It's seriously unlikely fights will last long enough. Oh and if you get stunned you may not get any use of your buff anyway.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks for the feedback, will be useful in my other RPG Seasons Of The Wolf that I'm working on right now, using the same system (but with some big changes). I agree on the stagger thing, so in this other game I'll try to make it happen sooner, not when enemy HP are 1/10 :lol:
Kevralyn
Young scout

Post by Kevralyn »

Don't be afraid to make big changes if you want, experiment! Take things that work, maybe fix up things that you felt didn't. I've played a lot of rpgs, and felt there was something a bit different about Loren. I hadn't played the exact same thing before, and that's cool. Stay inspired!