Battle tips & tricks thread

Fantasy RPG game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/lorenamazonprincess.htm
Graph_
Young scout

Re: Battle tips & tricks thread

Post by Graph_ »

Well, when you think about it most of the damage you take is Normal-type damage, and I think that's why "immune normal" is so powerful compared to the other types of resistances.

Here's another idea on that: Thinking about elemental resistances compared to elemental weaknesses, "weak normal" means * 1.5 damage, and "critical normal" means * 2 damage, or something like that. So why not make resistances DIVIDE damage by 1.5 and 2, respectively? I think the most balanced way would be to make it that way for normal-type damage specifically, though I don't know if it's worth making the explanation for damage mechanics longer.

...or just make it so that you can't make "immune normal" by stacking two pieces. There's a lot of viable solutions to this one I guess.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well probably there shouldn't be any way to get Immune to any kind of damage. That would be the easiest solution. What now is Immune would become Resistant, and what now is Resistant would be a mid-way between Normal and Resistant. This is the easiest and probably less troublesome way to fix the issue. Will need to make some tests first :)
4LeafClover
Young scout

Post by 4LeafClover »

I have had some difficulty playing on Normal. For example the Demon Beast (the purple one) is pretty tough to beat, immune to many types of damage. And there is the Drake boss at start of Chapter 4. At present I am stuck there, not able to kill it.

Loren seem to use a battle system that hinges heavily on the player knowing the enemy, what their resistances are, and be willing to switch spells and weapon types to defeat them. Will changing game difficulty to Easy make it easier to kill Bosses? Say without being concerned so much about resistances.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes for sure! Playing in Easy makes the battles VERY easy. Of course is hard to tell since depends on your playing skills. But in general I am able to win in Easy mode without buying any extra weapon/potions/anything, just using the stuff I find as I go on in the story.
gaiaswill
Young scout

HM Grob battle

Post by gaiaswill »

Lv 20 Saren, Lv 16 Karen. Totally get my ass kicked by Grob in hard mode. Breza comes in at Lv 12 and is completely useless. There's a fair chance I get wiped in the 1st turn when the wizard in the back nukes, but I would probably die from pressure in 3 turns otherwise anyway. I must be missing something fundamental in setup and tactics. Help?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hard mode has some very tough battles, and this for sure is one of them. Do you use potions/explosives? I think if you stock up of explosive potions you can eliminate the wizards in the back and win the battle. Also depends on the equipment you have of course, it has a big impact on the battles, beside the tactics.
gaiaswill
Young scout

Post by gaiaswill »

Ha! I'm just cheap since consumables are generally something I forget about. I tried haste potions but I suppose there's no substitute for a few bombs to convince an enemy mage to stand down.

I'll have to reload my Chapter 3 save now... :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well that's my suggestion, but I've seen many different approaches :) Bombs and potions works well in any case!
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

I regularly play RPG's in the hardest mode possible, so of course I did the same with this one. I didn't have any problems completing it. The only two battles I found particularly challenging were Loren vs Karen in the Queen's Trial, and Saren/Karen vs Grob at the Citadel. I attempted the Queen's trial at 18th level and Karen totally kicked Loren's tush, half a dozen times in a row. It wasn't even close. I came back later better equipped at 22nd level and won it. I did the same with the Grob Citadel battle. I found myself wishing that Karen the party member could fight like Karen the NPC at the Queen's trial. I'd have put her in my main six then. :wink:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

See, for some players the game was even too easy at Hard level! :lol: In upcoming RPGs will add a "Iron Mode" or "Impossible" difficulty so those guys maybe will finally find a difficulty up to their skills (and if they can't win I can always say "well the difficulty says Impossible, did you really expected to win ??").
Jokes apart hope you'll be able to do the beta testing of future RPGs since I need more "hardcore rpg players" like you to balance the difficulty :)