possibility of a sleep/skip day option?

Otome dating sim with life simulation gameplay: http://www.winterwolves.com/rememberme.htm
charonn
Young scout

possibility of a sleep/skip day option?

Post by charonn »

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but I just wanted to ask if it would be possible to sleep/skip an entire day. I can finish 99 stats on Romance etc and 100 on Relationship by early August. Then I find myself clicking around 5 times of the day each day until I can see my ending. I was just wondering if it might be possible to upgrade the game to include this option. I really like the game, but its a bit annoying for me when I finish so early and have to waste time clicking "watch tv" five times a day before I can go to sleep. It would be a really nice feature just to be able to sleep (not rest) from the start of the day. If it can't be added to this game, maybe it should be something to think about for future games. Not sure if anyone shares my opinion.

btw: I have no desire to make the game any harder. I only play for story, and want to be able to skip days where I'm doing nothing since all my stats are already maxed out. Thanks again.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: possibility of a sleep/skip day option?

Post by jack1974 »

Haha, that's the downside of making the game too easy :) I could add it, maybe as cheat code since I don't know how common/useful this would be.
Though I wanted to ask, why don't you play in "hard mode"? if you can get such high values by early august I think you're playing in the wrong mode. The difficulty changes only how hard is to raise the statistics and nothing else (not the sequence of events or anything else) so I think you might have more fun playing in hard mode.
For future sim games I'm going to remove completely the random element (or reduce considerably) so there shouldn't be such situations anymore :)
charonn
Young scout

Post by charonn »

Hmmm I guess why I don't play in hard mode is because I already don't like the failures in normal mode. It actually took me several failed attempts (about 3 continues with the stat bonuses) before I could even get one ending because I was failing in relationship conversations all the time. Saying that, hard mode scares me. I got used to the game and now it seems I'm having better luck and able to get the endings much faster. I guess I'm not interested in being challenged? That's why I don't play games like demons souls lol. I just want to have fun and enjoy the story and when you keep failing all the time, it ceases to be fun. Just my opinion :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No no I understand completely, also because... I'm like you as a gamer!! :lol:
I prefer to read the story and discover new things than having a hard time winning. Though in this specific case, if you discover all the scenes for each character (I made a spoiler post in this forum) you can get +60/70 relationship points already only answering correctly in the scenes, so the relationship left is very small and even at hard setting should be... relatively easy.

Anyway don't worry for future games I'll change this system for sure, since both your and Orusaka are quite right that the game should reward more picking the right choice/making the right decisions than being too much influenced by randomness (a bit is ok, but just a bit).
charonn
Young scout

Post by charonn »

Well answering the scenes correctly wasn't the worst part , because of course on a second replay, whether one failed or not, they would know the answer to the question since there were only two choices. I would just like the chances of talking being more successful. Even when I had almost perfect moral and energy I would often fail 0-o. Then on another play through I could succeed almost everyday minus weekends etc. It seemed very random :). But I'm glad to know the change will be implemented in the future .
Orusaka
Young scout

Post by Orusaka »

Hate to be late to the party, but I figured I'd chime in here. I already covered why I felt randomness doesn't work all that well in dating sims, so let's not get into that again. I would, however, like to add that I, too, encountered this problem while playing. Even though I've only ever played in hard mode, I would always finish with the stats and what I needed to do at least a week if not two early. So yeah, those two weeks made for very boring game play.

A typical to fix this type of problem I've seen in other dating sims that have specific time-frames (That is, specific starting and ending dates), is to have scenes trigger at specific dates only, thereby making sure that there is content spread throughout the game. That is, if you were not in the park on the evening of July 19th, you've missed your chance to trigger whatever scene happens then. The idea is simple; the events in the world are set, and part of the game play is finding them. It makes for harder games, though, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend you implement such a system for future games, but I nevertheless thought it would be interesting to bring up.

edit:
Just saw the review at gamertell, and the exchange you had with the reviewer in the comments. Notice how she brings up Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side? The same game I used for examples. If you have a DS, you really owe it to yourself to try that game out. I think you will get a ton of really great ideas out of it. It's really great.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Orusaka wrote: I would, however, like to add that I, too, encountered this problem while playing. Even though I've only ever played in hard mode, I would always finish with the stats and what I needed to do at least a week if not two early. So yeah, those two weeks made for very boring game play.
Ok, will definitely add the "skip day" option then :)
Orusaka wrote:A typical to fix this type of problem I've seen in other dating sims that have specific time-frames (That is, specific starting and ending dates), is to have scenes trigger at specific dates only, thereby making sure that there is content spread throughout the game. That is, if you were not in the park on the evening of July 19th, you've missed your chance to trigger whatever scene happens then. The idea is simple; the events in the world are set, and part of the game play is finding them. It makes for harder games, though, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend you implement such a system for future games, but I nevertheless thought it would be interesting to bring up.
Well, that could be interesting to add to the "Hard" mode, but definitely would make the game hard, so not for the casual players.
Orusaka wrote:Just saw the review at gamertell, and the exchange you had with the reviewer in the comments. Notice how she brings up Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side? The same game I used for examples. If you have a DS, you really owe it to yourself to try that game out. I think you will get a ton of really great ideas out of it. It's really great.
Haha yes, I don't have one, but I definitely need to get a DS so I can try that game! BTW I'm going to make your dressing game, and also another one. But since I just started with art, will need more time before they're ready. This time random factor will have much less impact in both games :mrgreen:
Orusaka
Young scout

Post by Orusaka »

Well, yeah, it all depends on the approach to the game play. What threw me off when I first played Remember Me was that it used a very different type of game play from what dating sims normally use, and I didn't really get it. I was confused from the get-go, when I was told which guy took which stat. Normally, the game is working that out. The raising of the stats is usually very easy; the game is finding out which stats to raise, and where the guys and girls are at any given time, so can trigger their scenes.

As for Tokimeki Memorial, I have good news. I just decided to see how far DS emulators have come, and apparently quite far. My point is, the game is fully playable in desmume. So, if you would like to not buy a machine for this one game, it's fully possible to play it on your computer. I mean, you can't buy it in English anyway. (There's a fan translation)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the games. The idea of dress-up in dating sims came straight from Tokimeki. It really is a truly great dating sim. It took me by surprise.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool, then will surely try to play it :)
As for the dating sim, one will be the dressing one, another will be fantasy and you'll play a sort of wizard's apprentice and you'll have to create potions and magic stuff. In both games I'm indeed aiming to have very small influence from the "random factor", and base the gameplay in finding out which stats are useful with which guy in what place and maybe even time :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Played it a bit, I see uses the system I used for Spirited Heart - raise some stats, lower others... and that system was hated by lots of people so I am not sure I'll use that one, even if personally wouldn't mind it :)