Remember Me

Otome dating sim with life simulation gameplay: http://www.winterwolves.com/rememberme.htm
Orusaka
Young scout

Re: Remember Me

Post by Orusaka »

Yeah, it happened to me about 5-7 times over 3 games. Only happened once the last game, though. There was no relation between the things. One time was the painting class in the Mall, another was writing practice at the library. I really can't remember them all, because until it happened for the 5-6 time, I really thought I was imagining things, then I started doing a tally on my notepad, and then I finally proved it was real. At first I thought it might be if you do the same event twice in one day, but it's not that. I really don't know what is causing it.

As for Eddy,
Spoiler:
I did that, too, but figured it wouldn't be enough to max it out. I really thought it was a bug because if you can't use the gym while going for Eddy, the gym really serves no purpose.
edit:
Ooh, I thought of another thing. For, at least, the easy/normal mode, it should also be implied to the player that in addition to raising like and stat, s/he will also need to finish all scenes to win. I mean, for my second Hugh play through I came very close to finishing with 100 like, 100 creative and still losing. If only I hadn't stumbled onto him like I mentioned earlier. This scenario where you can fail with both stats raised fully, would probably confuse people to no end. I don't really know how to do it in a smart way, though. I have plenty of stupid ideas for this, but no good ones.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Orusaka wrote: edit:
Ooh, I thought of another thing. For, at least, the easy/normal mode, it should also be implied to the player that in addition to raising like and stat, s/he will also need to finish all scenes to win. I mean, for my second Hugh play through I came very close to finishing with 100 like, 100 creative and still losing. If only I hadn't stumbled onto him like I mentioned earlier. This scenario where you can fail with both stats raised fully, would probably confuse people to no end. I don't really know how to do it in a smart way, though. I have plenty of stupid ideas for this, but no good ones.
Hmm you're right... for Lawrence, the final scene triggers automatically, same for Eddy. For Aaron, is quite simple since you would go to the hospital. But for Hugh, you have indeed to visit some places in the right order... though I guess that probably one harder character, or a character with a different approach would be ok. I'll see what the more "casual" players says. In my past dating sims, like Summer Session for example, you had to do a precise series of events and people didn't complain too much.

In other words I'm wondering if I'm getting all those people complaining (even if are right, I don't argue about that) because more casual players are approaching this genre ? Anyway will wait to get more people feedback and in case will change Hugh ending :)
Orusaka
Young scout

Post by Orusaka »

jack1974 wrote:
Orusaka wrote: edit:
Hmm you're right... for Lawrence, the final scene triggers automatically, same for Eddy. For Aaron, is quite simple since you would go to the hospital. But for Hugh, you have indeed to visit some places in the right order... though I guess that probably one harder character, or a character with a different approach would be ok. I'll see what the more "casual" players says. In my past dating sims, like Summer Session for example, you had to do a precise series of events and people didn't complain too much.

In other words I'm wondering if I'm getting all those people complaining (even if are right, I don't argue about that) because more casual players are approaching this genre ? Anyway will wait to get more people feedback and in case will change Hugh ending :)
Yeah, you may be right on this one. I might be underestimating the average casual player. Really, it's kind of hard for me to think of a dating sim as a casual game, because in Japan, they are anything buy. They are brutally hard, and made for a tiny, almost fanatic, niche in the market. I'm probably underestimating them, though.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes the few japanese dating sim I've tried were nuts, I had hard time to beat them myself :)

By the way I just uploaded version 1.1, if you want to try it - it's much less frustrating than before I think! I am at end of game and I am almost >40 relationship with all the characters :lol:
JackoWords
Young scout

Post by JackoWords »

Cool! Let me try the new version. :)
Orusaka
Young scout

Post by Orusaka »

I got the new version, but stuck to the hard mode. I must say, after I understood how you designed the game, it's not all that hard. I think most my issues stemmed from approaching it like the Japanese ones. I still think that type of gameplay is better, but I understand what you're trying to do now. I promised some further discussion on the genre, and I will type that up for tomorrow.

In game related talk, the way you fixed Eddy to take 1 turn to talk to now works so that it takes 1 turn if successful, and 2 turns if you fail. I mean, it kind of makes sense since the text reads you were waiting for hours, but I'm not sure if you meant to be that way or not, so just pointing that out.

edit: Okay, so actually it seems to randomly take 1 or 2 when failing.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Orusaka wrote:I got the new version, but stuck to the hard mode. I must say, after I understood how you designed the game, it's not all that hard. I think most my issues stemmed from approaching it like the Japanese ones. I still think that type of gameplay is better, but I understand what you're trying to do now. I promised some further discussion on the genre, and I will type that up for tomorrow.
Yes, probably is that. The way I designed it (and also some other games in the past) is that like an old adventure game you need to find out the right path and then everything becomes much easier :)
Orusaka wrote: In game related talk, the way you fixed Eddy to take 1 turn to talk to now works so that it takes 1 turn if successful, and 2 turns if you fail. I mean, it kind of makes sense since the text reads you were waiting for hours, but I'm not sure if you meant to be that way or not, so just pointing that out.

edit: Okay, so actually it seems to randomly take 1 or 2 when failing.
Well there are several "success" outcomes and several (well actually 2) failure. One is that you wait for hours, so 2 turns, the other simply he is too busy so you give up (1 turn only).
Orusaka
Young scout

Post by Orusaka »

I see. Yeah, the game isn't really all that hard in hard mode, except for when the random turns on you. I'm doing a new Eddy play through now, and over 4 weeks I got 4/20 potential like points. So, yeah, that's not going to happen. Oh well.

But this was kind of my point all along. Even though I know what to do to win, I'm not going to, because the dice didn't roll my way. Which is why I still think randomness for stats increases make no sense.

edit:
Yup, finished with 99 discipline with almost a month to spare, and a whole 54 like. That streak just kept up. I didn't have a single week where I got more than two points. So yeah, I think we can safely say no one in their right mind should actually play the game in hard mode. Because it's not that it's hard, it's just random.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm is weird because I managed to get all the endings myself (playing the actual game without cheats).
I need to remember if I did something particular for Eddy, but I remember it was the hardest...ah I suppose you got the jogging shoes from the mall right? that should increase the chances to get discipline up a lot. Today I'm going to play just to see if I'm able to reach it myself in hard mode :lol:
Orusaka
Young scout

Post by Orusaka »

jack1974 wrote:Hmm is weird because I managed to get all the endings myself (playing the actual game without cheats).
I need to remember if I did something particular for Eddy, but I remember it was the hardest...ah I suppose you got the jogging shoes from the mall right? that should increase the chances to get discipline up a lot. Today I'm going to play just to see if I'm able to reach it myself in hard mode :lol:
Well, as I wrote I had full discipline with a month left. I simply failed 4 out of 5 times on average when seeing him. The problem with random is simply that even though in theory you have, say, a 60% chance of success, you can still have 20-25% success or less, like I had. The point is simply that there was nothing I could have done to win. I lost the game because I was unlucky. I found the secret events that I could find. But because I kept failing to see him 4 out of 5 times, I just couldn't raise him high enough to unlock more.