This. Is. Ridiculous.

Otome dating sim: http://www.winterwolves.com/loveandorder.htm
ladymakaze
Young scout

This. Is. Ridiculous.

Post by ladymakaze »

Is there an update downloadable anywhere for this game? If so, can I please have a link? Because the version I have is so full of bugs, the game is essentially unplayable.

First there are the crashes. Oh, but they shouldn't daunt me at all! All I have to do is restart, load a game, repeat my actions, and... oh, guess what, it crashed again. Huh, I guess that does take the fun out of an otherwise well-crafted game.

Second, there are times when tasks do not show up on the projects list, so the next time I end up seeing my co-worker thinking I've done all their dirty work for them, they end up getting pissed off for a task I didn't even realize I'd missed. (Meeting minutes are by far the worst of these cases)

Third, and foremost... I am about 90+ days into the game, I complete a work day, go to bed, ready to wake up to a brand new day at work and - oh. The credits are rolling. Every so often when I go to bed, this happens. Game ends, credits roll, the opening scene plays, and then I'm booted back to the menu. Please tell me this is a bug and not a shoddy excuse for a secret ending. This is by far the most annoying bug I've consistently run into, by far, and I have not been able to find a way around it.

I've been trying to enjoy this game. I really have. I played the demo, and purchased the full game expecting to find the same amount of enjoyability I'd found in other WinterWolves games like Spirited Heart and Flower Shop. And believe me, it would be so much more enjoyable if not for all the bugs.

I made my purchase and download on February 19th, 2010, though I'm not sure if there's an update or a patch needed for my current version. For the sake of helping out with the bug-fixing, here's a traceback:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'int' objects

While running game code:
- script at line 657 of C:\- indie dev -\games\renpy.new\Love & Order/game/script.rpy
- python at line 746 of C:\- indie dev -\games\renpy.new\Love & Order/game/script.rpy.
- python at line 403 of C:\- indie dev -\games\renpy.new\Love & Order/game/rooms.rpy.
- python at line 373 of C:\- indie dev -\games\renpy.new\Love & Order/game/script.rpy.
- python at line 297 of C:\- indie dev -\games\renpy.new\Love & Order/game/script.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Program Files\Love and Order\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 279, in bootstrap
File "C:\Program Files\Love and Order\renpy\main.py", line 320, in main
File "C:\Program Files\Love and Order\renpy\main.py", line 93, in run
File "C:\Program Files\Love and Order\renpy\execution.py", line 259, in run
File "C:\Program Files\Love and Order\renpy\ast.py", line 588, in execute
File "C:\Program Files\Love and Order\renpy\python.py", line 957, in py_exec_bytecode
File "C:\- indie dev -\games\renpy.new\Love & Order/game/script.rpy", line 746, in <module>
File "C:\- indie dev -\games\renpy.new\Love & Order/game/rooms.rpy", line 403, in do_actions
File "C:\- indie dev -\games\renpy.new\Love & Order/game/script.rpy", line 373, in visit
File "C:\- indie dev -\games\renpy.new\Love & Order/game/script.rpy", line 297, in assign_task

While running game code:
- script at line 657 of C:\- indie dev -\games\renpy.new\Love & Order/game/script.rpy
- python at line 746 of C:\- indie dev -\games\renpy.new\Love & Order/game/script.rpy.
- python at line 403 of C:\- indie dev -\games\renpy.new\Love & Order/game/rooms.rpy.
- python at line 373 of C:\- indie dev -\games\renpy.new\Love & Order/game/script.rpy.
- python at line 297 of C:\- indie dev -\games\renpy.new\Love & Order/game/script.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.12.0e

Any help would be very, very much appreciated. When it comes to the quality of its games, WinterWolves has never let me down, up until this point, and it would be a shame see this wonderfully conceptualized game go to waste over a few annoying bugs. Thanks bunches.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: This. Is. Ridiculous.

Post by jack1974 »

edit & update: I just noticed you said you purchased the game February 19th, 2010 - obviously that's not possible :) in any case, you can just redownload the game from same location (and be sure to uninstall the old one first so you play the latest version) and try again, you will be playing the latest version.

----
sorry to hear about your problems. I've already informed the coder - unfortunately I didn't code this, only produced it, so I cannot fix any bugs myself :( I'm sure she'll help you quickly.
First I have to ask you one question though: could it be that you played an older version first, saved the game, and continued to play with the new versions? I ask because if you try to continue a savegame from one of the earlier version you'll have those bugs and you should really start a new fresh game.

If that's not the case then don't worry, we'll fix any bugs you have, I've never let my customer unsatisfied :)
ladymakaze
Young scout

Post by ladymakaze »

LOL! Yeah, it's actually the 17th, which is just yesterday. I've only started playing for about four hours and I'm pretty sure I don't have any other versions of the game.

Thanks for the help anyways, I guess I'll just have to download again and see if it works.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool, I've told Christine about the bug, so she will also give me an "official reply" in few hours (it's still night where she lives now) :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Sent you an email asking to send me the save files, so Christine can take a look at them - seems is a very strange bug!! :oops:
Orusaka
Young scout

Post by Orusaka »

Well, hard to say without the code, but given the error type:

it sounds like the programmer has tried to do add a word (or string) to a number.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yep, but still need the savegame since despite maybe a simple game appearance there's lot going on undercover :) I wouldn't surely know where to look myself! I code in a much simpler way :oops:
ladymakaze
Young scout

Post by ladymakaze »

Well darn it, after you replied, I decided to reinstall and start from scratch... and I think the save game got deleted in the progress. LOL. >.<;;

No matter though, I'll try to do another playthrough and see if the bug shows up again. I do know that it occurred at 90+ days, after advancing certain plot points with the mystery.
Spoiler:
I found out that the culprit was *spoiler spoiler* and called the police.
I also had the lucky ring, and I had maxed 'relationship' with everyone in the office, and was dating Ross at the time. Not sure if that helps, but I'll definitely send a save game if I encounter that bug again.

Also, crashes seem to occur always with a specific task assigned by Jonathan. It's one of his projects, advanced evidence procedures, something or other.

Thanks for the help, again.
Last edited by ladymakaze on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kukalie
Young scout

Post by Kukalie »

90+ days? Wait a minute, how many days there's suppose to be in this game? For me the game always ends some point after 60+days, what's with that? :?
ladymakaze
Young scout

Post by ladymakaze »

I've actually played two games beyond 60+ days and never had an ending prompt....is that another bug? lol

EDIT:

So I've actually been able to keep the saved games after all, silly me. XD Can you tell me then which files do I send and where they can be found, and where to send them? Thanks!