Vera Blanc for iPad - Crashes/Freezes on Day 2

A forum dedicated to my comic-styled games series called "Vera Blanc"
Kaduffy
Young scout

Vera Blanc for iPad - Crashes/Freezes on Day 2

Post by Kaduffy »

I've been enjoying this game so far but have found that the game stops responding (although I can still access the "clues" page and the menu options) once Vera discovers the werewolf costume in the hunter's hut. This happens no matter what I do to get to that point in the game. Also, even if I have saved the game a few times during play, no matter which previous version I try to load, the game will always open to this same frozen point. So I'm stuck and going crazy because I don't know how the game ends :( :?:
Any help from other players or game developers?
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Vera Blanc for iPad - Crashes/Freezes on Day 2

Post by jack1974 »

I've told the coder about this (I didn't do the iPad version myself) so he can find out about the problem. I don't have an iPad but I helped testing the iPhone version and it was working, so I'm not sure what could be.
sybixsus
Young scout

Post by sybixsus »

Hi Kaduffy,

I did the programming on the iPad version, so I'll be working to get this bug found and fixed.

Now the first thing to say is that I've played through the iPad version from start to finish on several occasions and never experienced any problems, so the bug you're experiencing must only occur in certain circumstances. So it's very important for me to learn as much as possible about which options you chose and exactly how far you got. Since it occurs on Day 2, relatively early in the game, that narrows down the possiblities. Is it possible for you to tell me exactly which line was the last line of dialogue/story that you saw before the game stopped responding? Is the screen blank or is there a background image shown? If there is a background image could you please describe it to me? Or take a photo if you can.

For example, the scene begins when
Spoiler:
Lucas phones you and asks you and Brandon to meet him just outside the forest. He takes you to the hut, and you are presented with a menu letting you examine the hut, examine the costume or to read Lucas' mind. Did you get to this menu? Which option did you choose last?

If you choose to examine the costume, you get the choice between examining the fur, examining the size or looking for cuts? Did you get to this menu? Which option did you choose last?

Any other information you can give me about what actions you took would be helpful. IE: Whether you chose to leave the train or whether you stayed to defuse the bomb. Whether you read Lucas' mind when you first met him, or went to collect your clothes. Whether you collecting blood evidence, fur evidence or just collected your clothes.

All of these things would be helpful.
If you would prefer to contact me directly, you can email me at [email protected] with as much information above as you can. The more information you can provide and the more specific you can be, the faster I'll be able to find and fix the bug.
sybixsus
Young scout

Post by sybixsus »

Oh, one other thing to bear in mind. The browser version of the game is based on identical code to the iPad version of the game, and I think from memory (but perhaps Jack can confirm this) that it plays up till and past the hunter's hut section of day 2 without having to register. So if testing on the iPad is inconvenient or if you believe that a corrupt save file may have complicated this, you could also try to make the problem occur in the web version of the game. Once I am able to trigger the bug myself, it should be easy to fix.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I played today the ipod/iphone version and went past that day without problems. There are several possibilities though, maybe you happened to trigger a very specific case (or maybe one of the minigames doesn't set the right variable, that's what I can think of).
sybixsus
Young scout

Post by sybixsus »

I think I may have found the problem. It looks as though the problem only occurs if you read Lucas' mind when you get to the hunter's hut. If you replay and avoid this option, the problem should not occur. Obviously, I will be releasing a fix as soon as possible, but Apple will take a few days to approve this, so if you want to replay in the meantime, just don't read Lucas' mind at that point.

Does that sound right? Do you recall reading Lucas' mind shortly before the problem occurred?

As for the saved games, I can't find any problem with them at all. Is it possible that you accidentally overwrote your saved games when you were trying to load an older game? I only ask because I did that once myself. When you open the options menu, the save window is displayed by default, but since it looks like the loading screen, it's very easy to save your current position instead of loading an old game. That would explain why all your saved games now have the same problem.

I'll talk to Jack about this, but I'm thinking that having an overwrite dialogue when you try to save your game over an existing save game might be the safest way to ensure this doesn't happen to anyone else.