Finally figured out why....

A sci-fi RPG game https://www.winterwolves.com/planetstronghold.htm
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Finally figured out why....

Post by deathknight1728 »

I was away from turn based games for a little while but decided to come back to play some planet stronghold :) Ill admit that I didn't really know why I liked this game so much more than other games I played. Don't get me wrong, I like games like that, but usually Im more into the top down view of rpgs like Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and all the other awesome infinity engine games.

But then I figured it out-The choice you get in those infinity engine games is very much in Planet Stronghold. When I play an rpg with a party, the first thing I like to do is decide how many characters to take along. For games that are turn based, I usually go with 3 at most but for real time like baldurs gate, I go with 2 characters as its much easier to manage and less micro-management.

Like Baldurs Gate and those games, Planet Stronghold gives you an awesome set of characters to choose to take with you, you get to choose to take 3 or 4 with you (I choose 3). You have an awesome roleplaying stat/skill system and offers much to get you thinking which is the ultimate build for this class, etc.

The weapons are very much unique and have their own stories/perse that you can choose from. Like Baldurs gate, I always like to choose which weapon to use for my play through of set game and I come up with reasons why my character chose that weapon over others.

The reason why this sequel will win is because of those things that I love about the original game. I am only in my 2nd play through with deluxe edition and I am going to say: "I prefer Planet Stronghold rather than Avadon!" Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
?
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Finally figured out why....

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks, that was a big compliment :mrgreen:
I think I understand your tastes in RPGs and are similar to mine. The thing I hate mostly in 2d RPGs is spending lot of time wandering on tileset maps, that's why I never got into RPGMaker XP games or Spiderweb games, since they both use that system. Of course other people love that, so is a matter of tastes indeed.
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Re: Finally figured out why....

Post by deathknight1728 »

jack1974 wrote:Thanks, that was a big compliment :mrgreen:
I think I understand your tastes in RPGs and are similar to mine. The thing I hate mostly in 2d RPGs is spending lot of time wandering on tileset maps, that's why I never got into RPGMaker XP games or Spiderweb games, since they both use that system. Of course other people love that, so is a matter of tastes indeed.
Don't get me wrong, I think spiderweb makes some cool games. But my biggest problem with them for the most part is that its all filler. I can get into Avernum Escape from the Pit and be into the game for quite a while. However the difference between that game and say Stronghold is that Stronghold is not just filler, it actually has an end and you can finish the game without that ridiculous amount of filler. Avadon is different because it actually has a good story and is not nearly as LONG as some of the other games. More focus on story and less on random encounters is a major plus for me. The problem when a game is extremely long is that unless the game experience is that friggin awesome, you are likely to lose interest.
?