Thinking about doing a "Deluxe" version

A sci-fi RPG game https://www.winterwolves.com/planetstronghold.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Thinking about doing a "Deluxe" version

Post by jack1974 »

DON'T get too excited :lol:
The situation is simple: this game was made using a very old version of the programming framework which I use to do all my games. So the version live on the site uses old libraries. I wanted to upgrade it to the new one, and at same time get rid of the "Official Strategy Guide" product since not many people buy it.
So the idea was to rebuild the game with the latest version, incorporate the strategy guide+some extra artwork (I have an early version of the game sprites done by another artist that I never used) and add some extra content, not sure yet what. Probably not new storyline though, I was thinking some kind of battle arena with area of effect Psionics, or other stuff. Not sure yet, depends how much time I have to do it.
This way people who bought the strategy guide already will get the upgrade for free, and others will only need to pay the difference (will provide discount codes for existing buyers that are interested). Then the Deluxe version will be sold alongside the normal one for $29.99 (the base game was $24.99 and the strategy guide $4.99). This will also help me gather people interested in testing the new version :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: Thinking about doing a "Deluxe" version

Post by Franka »

Well, if you add 150-200 new equips to it, I'm game. I really felt that the game didn't give me any options for equipment. It was like, "get skill to X so you can equip the best gear - oh, and this is the best gear for your class, don't bother with the rest." (Maybe I'm exaggerating slightly, but not much.)
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

Franka wrote:Well, if you add 150-200 new equips to it, I'm game. I really felt that the game didn't give me any options for equipment. It was like, "get skill to X so you can equip the best gear - oh, and this is the best gear for your class, don't bother with the rest." (Maybe I'm exaggerating slightly, but not much.)
This! Franka just summed up very succinctly one of my biggest annoyances about this game.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah yes, that is a good idea and something I could definitely do (I would probably even have fun doing it!).
The only thing is that will probably need to add a vendor or something, since most weapon are found through questing/exploration (differently from Loren there wasn't any vendor). But shouldn't be a big problem!
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Post by deathknight1728 »

jack1974 wrote:Ah yes, that is a good idea and something I could definitely do (I would probably even have fun doing it!).
The only thing is that will probably need to add a vendor or something, since most weapon are found through questing/exploration (differently from Loren there wasn't any vendor). But shouldn't be a big problem!

This.....

You do know by now that if you added those weapons/features to a deluxe version, I would, as any Winter Wolves fanboy buy it regardless ;)

I wonder if you will be working on this soon or after you finish Bionic Heart 2/other games.
?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

After I finish BH2, but it should be finished by mid-March, so relatively soon :)
Svanhildr
Young scout

Post by Svanhildr »

Well, I would be all over it that's for sure!
Meep :3
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Is fun to say this, but to RELAX and take a break from BH2, today will begin working on this. If someone told me a year ago that making a RPG would be more relaxing than a branching VN, I wouldn't have believed it :lol:
First task, will add 100 items. Adding more could be a problem since I don't want to make them too much powerful, unless I add another difficulty level, Nightmare/Iron Mode...
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

There are enough different item categories and damage types that I thought 100 was on the low side. ;) It doesn't have to be increased power, just increased variation in viable options.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes the first plan is that one, make several weapons of all types with different damage type bonus and then see how many they are :)