Memory requirement

A sci-fi RPG game https://www.winterwolves.com/planetstronghold.htm
Aveline
Young scout

Memory requirement

Post by Aveline »

So,I had the game for a while but never got the chance to try it.
anyway,
when I try to start it,it lags on the splash menu then crashe to desktop when I try to use the full screen option,I took it upon myself to figure what exactly is causing the problem,
after some digging, I realised the game uses up to 800 MB of RAM which causes the lagging and the crashing.

I have managed to solve the problem by running the compatibility mode and deactivate almost everything to save some RAM but it's getting annoying, especially when playing in 250x250 screen res.

I don't know what's the problem, I mean why does it take that much space.

My hardware specs:

I use a notebook which has 4GB RAM,i7 intel core 2.2 GHz processor and NVIDIA GeForce GT 540 2GB GPU.

I also use Windows 7 Home edition.

ooh, I have the latest update v 1.04e.

:(
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Memory requirement

Post by jack1974 »

800mb of RAM !? no that's impossible - I use the task manager and Planet Stronghold on start up uses 90mb, but even later in the game never goes above 170-180mb. I think in your case is because is not running with HW accelerated, when it starts try pressing shift+G and choose DirectX and install DirectX 9.0c (an automatic installer should start if you don't have them).
In any case, pretty sure that it can't use 800mb RAM so there must be something else going on!! :lol:
Aveline
Young scout

Post by Aveline »

ok,so after 1 hour of updating almost everything on my damn notebook I finally figured out what was going on.

apparently the game was set to run using the wrong GPU,
now that I've switched it,everything seems to be working appropriately!

I wonder if it was mentioned in the system requirements or not,but clearly this game needs a good GPU to run smoothly.

thanks anyway :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well yes it uses HW acceleration. Even if the game is 2d, there are many sprites 1024x1024px and that takes some processing power I think (not sure since I didn't code the library, only the game on top of it). Anyway cool that you managed to make it work!
Aveline
Young scout

Post by Aveline »

I thought that as well,
so far so good,

:)