Can't get demo to work

A sci-fi RPG game https://www.winterwolves.com/planetstronghold.htm
Raine009
Young scout

Can't get demo to work

Post by Raine009 »

I'm trying to use the demo but I keep getting a error about runtime errors and the the game asking runtime to terminate it in a unusual way.

I have windows 7 64bit.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Can't get demo to work

Post by jack1974 »

Hello,
what kind of message you get? usually the games output a traceback.txt or some other .txt message in the game folder containing some info about why the game crashed. If you can find it and post here could check where is the problem.
Another thing you can try, hold down the SHIFT key while the game starts and you should see a menu to use OpenGL or Software Rendered. OpenGL is the default, but if you haven't updated the driver you might have better results using Software mode.
Raine009
Young scout

Post by Raine009 »

Sorry about the double threads. I'm not used to the moderator approval thing. :oops:

According to windows this was my issue:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Planet Stronghold.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4918019c
Fault Module Name: PYTHON26.DLL
Fault Module Version: 2.6.5150.1013
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ba3e3f1
Exception Code: 40000015
Exception Offset: 000553de
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: e6a9
Additional Information 2: e6a9c33c8d30109444e1ec52bdc4235d
Additional Information 3: e52a
Additional Information 4: e52a8c1d186a0f9a168666ea8d163e80

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
The most I got was a log that mentioned
Ren'Py 6.12.0e
running on Windows-post2008Server-6.1.7600

Windowed mode.
Didn't seem overly helpful.

I don't think my computer wants to play nice with the newer version of renpy. The older games using it (like Bionic Heart and Date Warp) work just fine. But the newer ones (Planet Stronghold, Always Remember Me) all of them have the same crash.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Raine009 wrote: I don't think my computer wants to play nice with the newer version of renpy. The older games using it (like Bionic Heart and Date Warp) work just fine. But the newer ones (Planet Stronghold, Always Remember Me) all of them have the same crash.
Ah that's interesting. There is a newer version of Ren'Py that I didn't use because was still alpha, maybe that one could work. I'll ask Ren'Py coder about this problem since I really don't know what it could be! thanks

edit: in the game directory there isn't any other .txt file? like renpy.log or opengl.txt or something else?
Raine009
Young scout

Post by Raine009 »

jack1974 wrote: Ah that's interesting. There is a newer version of Ren'Py that I didn't use because was still alpha, maybe that one could work. I'll ask Ren'Py coder about this problem since I really don't know what it could be! thanks

edit: in the game directory there isn't any other .txt file? like renpy.log or opengl.txt or something else?
No problem.

No there's just the plain log.txt with the stuff I posted.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm thanks, only Ren'Py coder can solve this :( he recently released an update so maybe that could fix the problem.
Have you tried holding SHIFT key?
Raine009
Young scout

Post by Raine009 »

Holding shift doesn't help.

Don't worry too much about it. I don't mind waiting.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm well I asked the coder and he said that really that could be anything, since the game crashes on startup - which is something very unusual! I try some random suggestions:
- Do you have any antivirus or other programs running? try disabling them maybe
- Did you download it directly from my site? sometimes other sites mirror older versions. In any case trying to reinstall it in another folder could work
- Have you tried running it "as administrator"? usually shouldn't be needed, but worth trying :)
- You said old games works. Can you do a test and download Vera Blanc and see if that one runs? it uses same version of Renpy but with some slight differences
Raine009
Young scout

Post by Raine009 »

jack1974 wrote:Hmm well I asked the coder and he said that really that could be anything, since the game crashes on startup - which is something very unusual! I try some random suggestions:
- Do you have any antivirus or other programs running? try disabling them maybe
- Did you download it directly from my site? sometimes other sites mirror older versions. In any case trying to reinstall it in another folder could work
- Have you tried running it "as administrator"? usually shouldn't be needed, but worth trying :)
- You said old games works. Can you do a test and download Vera Blanc and see if that one runs? it uses same version of Renpy but with some slight differences
Turning off my antivirius and non-essential programs didn't help.

I did download directly from your site. And running as administrator I tried as well.

Vera Blanc works perfectly.

Ah Vista. You just love being fickle.

Edit: Just to test some more I download the 6.12? version of Renpy. While I can run it I can't run the tutorial because I get the same exact error. (the error also peroidically pops up while I'm trying to use it). I'm pretty sure it's the newer version of renpy my comp doesn't like at this point.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hm I have an idea maybe, can you go in planet stronghold installation and delete the various .py files you see? not .rpyc, only the .py files. If I'm right it should start and maybe give you an error but a different one, but in this case I think I know what to do.
edit: just saw your new post :x I think is really something with Ren'Py then, but is strange since I have no other reports of problems with your system configuration :|

Is strange because seems the problem is in python DLL module... I suppose you don't have another python version installed, right?