Future RPGs

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
kadakithis
Druid

Re: Future RPGs

Post by kadakithis »

burn Out can be a bad enemy. Not nearly the same at all, but I was the main DM for our group for several years. That with personal games with my fiance, and one between her and her brother. That eventually I had to stop. Creative burn out where I started not only being burned, but trying to keep it up for them and nearly hating my hobby. Sometimes learning to take things at a certain pace or not take off more than you can enjoy is the key. Took a break and I had the same passion within months, just all about pacing.

I guess I mean to say is don't forget you.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

In my case is more that I bit too much I could chew, adding features on features without thinking that everything has a cost. Every line of code added on a such complex game has a weight. You tweak how attack is calculated? everything related to that changes! and so on. And with a big project even if you wrote the code yourself, or in my case even if I'm very familiar with the framework, there are things beyond your reach, like discovering that the game is just too big/resource intensive to work well on mobile (I honestly don't know how people can play it on mobile, is too slow, but some people got it there).

So it's not about me tired of some creative task. Is not that: just a few weeks ago wrote the storyboard of a dating sim, and I keep having ideas for new stories. The problem is that because of all that coding on SOTW, now basically I HATE CODING, even simple stuff :lol: and will take me a long time to recover. That's why I don't want to get into this situation anymore by doing a game that was clearly beyond my capabilities, or in any case an insanely HUGE project to do.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Still, be proud that you did it, that it was completed, and that you have a game like that on your trophy rack.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes of course I am :)
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

More wishing there were Thumbs Up, we are lucky to have you Jack.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks. I hope to stay around for long :mrgreen:
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

It's such a shame that SOTW didn't work out for you. I thought it was an improvement over Loren in most respects. Although you may no longer be willing to do another game of this magnitude, was any design decisions that you would reuse (random loot, tile maps, etc.)?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Heh good question.
Some more time has passed since I wrote that blog and I keep thinking a lot about this game (and others). I think the biggest problem of SOTW was all the custom plot/quests battles. A lot of cut-scenes, a lot of custom battles conditions (like when you could kill 1 character to win, or you couldn't use ranged weapon under water, and so on).
Also the problem is that the game was objectively "too big", you remember I said that I should have sold it for $29.99 to justify all the effort, but for market reasons I couldn't. So it was also a planning mistake on my part.

That said I have now built this system that could be tweaked and reused. All the random loot, tile maps, and so on now are working and is less effort than building it from scratch. I'm still "burned out" from doing it+DLC, but I don't exclude that I'll reuse this system in other games in future (not soon though).
I might even "try the luck" with a roguelike idea that I have since a long time and wouldn't require a big plot.

For now, I'm tweaking this engine again for Queen Of Thieves even if as I wrote in last week blog post I'm trying to simplify things, like having fixed limited items, and so on.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I am wary about roguelikes, although it can be an excuse to try out grid-based movement and combat.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I like them, even if I'm not good at playing. Beside they're very popular on Steam now, so might be just a way to fund the future games :)