skill ideas (was 'one skill, multiple abilities?')

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
renke_
Elder Druid

skill ideas (was 'one skill, multiple abilities?')

Post by renke_ »

As Jack made his refusal of further changes very clear not in the SOTW forum but here as an idea for future RPGs :)

Would it be possible to use one skill for multiple abilities? The most obvious example are (again..) the elemental druid skills, it is not far-fetched to combine the single target and row spells to a single "<element> magic" class, Air Magic would enable both Smoke Cloud and Stinging Swarm. The other player classes in Act 1 could also benefit from such a 1:n relation, the skill Combat Stances would give access to Finesse, Avoidance and Recover, or Trick Shot including Barrage and Bleeding Strike.
Last edited by renke_ on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: one skill, multiple abilities?

Post by jack1974 »

Not sure I understand what you mean by access? In battle you click one skill and another sub-menu opens with sub-skills ? this is similar to the skilltree I used in Loren (a bit different).
For the next games I'll probably have the new RPG framework, but even with this one shouldn't be a problem. There is no limit to the amount of skills, a character could have 99 skills if I wanted (and was so crazy to code all 99!). Then I could simply group them based on function/type/etc.
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

jack1974 wrote:Not sure I understand what you mean by access?
similar to bows and the two ranged abilities. an equipped missile weapon activates/unlocks two abilities (ranged attack and aimed shot) - now replace "an equipped missile weapon" with "one learnt skill" :)
There is no limit to the amount of skills, a character could have 99 skills if I wanted (and was so crazy to code all 99!). Then I could simply group them based on function/type/etc.
it's less quantity but more diversity. I don't think that more than 10-15 skills are needed (or even desirable) , but those should be more different than, say, the 4 thief attacks requiring a staggered target (a skill Improvised Missiles could enable Flaming Torch and Ice Flask; Sneaky Assaults could unlock Backstab and Choke)
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I'm all for the idea. I thought the problem with this was screen space.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, in PS2 we're displaying the skill/attack types icons on a bar at the bottom of the screen. I like the idea of clicking on the target and then all the possible attacks shows up around it, but if you start adding 10-12 types, unless you want to have very small icons (which is bad :lol:) you need to come up with an alternative solution...!
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

You do realize that when I've seen the act 2 characters and gotten tired of that act, I'm gonna write up an entire manifesto about class and combat design for Loren 2, based on what I find good/bad about SotW and on things I once didn't think were possible to do in Ren'Py. You're setting yourself up for further trouble by suggesting you can fix screen space problems ;)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well for a game that I still have to start like Loren 2 I have no problems with suggestions. Even the crazy ones by you! :lol:
Jokes apart is fine, even if I can solve the screen space issue, when PS2 is out you can tell me what you think. Personally I still prefer the icons around the target, is more intuitive. On the other hand, you can't cram 150 icons there :mrgreen:
Another solution would be to have a sort of quick/hotbar, and only the most used skills show around the target and all the others available in another frame/bar at the bottom ?
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I don't think it'd be difficult to solve if not for the multiple platforms :) I'm not sure what you can do with just finger touches. If swiping is allowed we could have several pages but I don't think I'd like that.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Currently swiping is not supported :( but beside that is hard also for the icons size...
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

skills with both positive and negative effects could be interesting, like the combat stances but much more extreme. some ideas:
Blood Magic - triplicates magic, but causes bleeding (with high damage, I think of 10+ per turn) for the duration of the spell
Overdrive - defence and attack are set to 250 %, but the target of the buff dies at the end of the duration