about items!

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: about items!

Post by jack1974 »

Personally as player I prefer that too, however I know that other people have different tastes :) In any case I think there should be more than in PS1, otherwise the vendors you visit what would they sell? :lol:
Another thing of Loren is that because how it was designed the weapons would have low impact on the attack damage, lower than they should have. They were still useful for elemental attacks though. Armors instead were essential to survive battles at Hard level.
Back to the topic, my solution would be so that the manual generated items would be marked "Unique", maybe with a yellow color of the name (as they do in Diablo/Torchlight), while the others would use different colors and would be rare but not unique. This way, if you like to play with this style you can just look for the unique items, but for everyone else there are also the "other items".

Anyway I need also to see how will design the items in Loren 2. In first Loren there weren't items with effects (though it was possible with the engine) or percentage based bonus (so that they would be always useful).
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Auto-generated items might be good if you were making a roguelike, since they emphasize making due with what's available, for better or worse.

Otherwise, I prefer items with distinctive properties, especially in games where equipment is more important.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Reviving this thread!
I'm attempting to add pseudo-random items in SOTW 8)
There'll be unique - handcrafted items and also randomly generated ones. A bit like Diablo 3 (which I'm playing right now :mrgreen:) where you can have basically the same base item with randomized properties. I think this way should be a good compromise, there are still unique items, but every time you play you could get also new random items.