The world of Aravorn

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
Madance
Druid

Re: The world of Aravorn

Post by Madance »

Now that would be a nice turn of events... Like, we all expect after the Fost defeat, everything will be nice and dandy, but then, some obvious resentments remain(not only with the Empire, nut all other factions), making obvious that somethings, would never change.
Like Chambara used to say:
"It's just a war. There always gonna be a war". ~___^
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I am here to ruin things with maths! >:)

When you say that the map doesn't include uncharted areas, that better be an understatement. Because, look at this, if we say that the world is not larger than that map implies:

The world is 1280 pixels across, so call that the equator. The distance between the citadel and Grimoire is about 94 pixels, or ~7.3% the equator. If Aravorn is the size of Earth (whose equator is 6378 kilometers), then that distance becomes ~468 kilometers. Normal walking pace is 5-6 km/h, and fortunately 468 is evenly divisible by 6 and gives us 78. If we assume Loren and Saren/Elenor travel 15 hours a day, it would take slightly more than 5 days - and that's assuming they can walk as the crow flies - but they get there pretty early the second day of the story.

So either Aravorn is like four times smaller than Earth, or this map doesn't show nearly all of it. Fortunately, it's easy to motivate the second explanation, and not just because it allows you to invent more areas for future titles. Because if we go back to using the equator: If this is indeed all of Aravorn, then the areas we visit in Loren would be all near the equator, and have tropical climate. Fortunately they don't and you could easily say that this part you're showing us is Aravorn's northern hemisphere, or at least part of it.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha wow :)
Yes I think I'll go with your northern hemisphere explanation. For now I have enough territory to make several games but maybe wouldn't mind to expand it.
It could be considered a bit like Earth in medieval times, before they discovered the Americas :)
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I realized that if it's the entire northern hemisphere then that distance won't shrink because the equator will remain the same length if the world doesn't get wider. Give us a big world :)

BTW I guess this means the common belief is that the world is flat?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Maybe, the world of Aravorn IS really flat. After all is a fantasy world :wink:
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Flat like Jul's...

Ahem. That might get annoying to keep in mind though, to avoid some numbers nerd (who, me?) questioning the logic. And I am not sure it adds much to have a flat world :P
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:Maybe, the world of Aravorn IS really flat. After all is a fantasy world :wink:
Flat and round, floating on the backs of four elephants on the back of a cosmic space turtle?
megaman12321
Young scout

Post by megaman12321 »

Miakoda wrote:
jack1974 wrote:Maybe, the world of Aravorn IS really flat. After all is a fantasy world :wink:
Flat and round, floating on the backs of four elephants on the back of a cosmic space turtle?
...And all standing on top a omnipotent wolf
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

That reminds I need to finish reading "The Color of Magic".
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

So, ummm. Where on the map are Hesperos and Locutia located? North or South of Kalnas Ridge? Or are they on Zoltar at all? I can't rest before I know. :lol: