The world of Aravorn

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Re: The world of Aravorn

Post by Miakoda »

Some other considerations for three of Madance's posts :)

1. For that matter, the Amazons may simply have a different military grade as well. After all, a naval captain is not the same thing as an army captain. So, if the Amazons use ranks like Warrior, Scout, etc. then Captain may be all they need. And for that matter, they may also have different grades of Captain. Captain of the Guard is the royal guard...there may be an Aerie Captain (okay, a bad term for nesting grounds of the grypohns, etc.)

2. I don't mind ideas of half-races (if one wants to use the term), but one must be careful not to go to far. I've had players go, 'Well, I'm quarterling elf, 1/8th orc," etc.

3. I actually assumed there were some small villages, if for no other reason than to raise the crops Amazons would obviously need to live. They don't actually engage in any external trade, but they do rely on slave labor. One could almost foresee a plantation system with Amazon overseers and guards.

However, if you don't want to have villages, you could also assume the Amazons mastered terrace farming (look at the Incans) to help provide the foodstuffs they need.
Last edited by Miakoda on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes the terrace farming works :) but also I would consider the Citadel as something really BIG, so that could have fields within its walls, like the medieval castles? I think that is possible if is really big :)
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:Yes the terrace farming works :) but also I would consider the Citadel as something really BIG, so that could have fields within its walls, like the medieval castles? I think that is possible if is really big :)
Oh, certainly. Of course, one can also extrapolate that with magic, it is also possible to require less land to grow crops (magical fertilizers, growth spells, etc.)

And I imagine living on the coast, they also supplement it with fishing, etc.

Given it is a fantasy world, usually I don't worry so much about where crops may come from. I like to imagine the dwarves have thriving agriculture program going on with fungus, raising albino, blind fish, etc.
Madance
Druid

Post by Madance »

Ok! Thanks a bunch, I just wondered for a moment. These things really should go to the Wiki, seemed like a nice touch to the game.^_^
megaman12321
Young scout

Post by megaman12321 »

Considering all the notes and explanations on the forums, that be good. I would be helping, but then again, college is tough and I think wikis in general hate me.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

megaman12321 wrote:Considering all the notes and explanations on the forums, that be good. I would be helping, but then again, college is tough and I think wikis in general hate me.
Well, the wiki is coming along alright, I feel :) I would have put more in, but work sort of takes precedence ;)

For the moment, I've just been putting in material directly from games, or stated as official by Jack1974 or Aleema.
megaman12321
Young scout

Post by megaman12321 »

Miakoda wrote:
megaman12321 wrote:Considering all the notes and explanations on the forums, that be good. I would be helping, but then again, college is tough and I think wikis in general hate me.
Well, the wiki is coming along alright, I feel :) I would have put more in, but work sort of takes precedence ;)

For the moment, I've just been putting in material directly from games, or stated as official by Jack1974 or Aleema.
That's good. I'll help if I'm not swamped by work I really should be doing instead of looking at a forum immediately after class and pretending my troubles don't exist.

Question, the Council is made up from various different factions, but exactly who are they? Were they nomads, kingdoms, etc? Were they any different in terms of (human) race?
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

megaman12321 wrote: Question, the Council is made up from various different factions, but exactly who are they? Were they nomads, kingdoms, etc? Were they any different in terms of (human) race?
If you are talking of the Council in the Empire of Man, it is made up of mages who rule the country. However, the military is also a strong contender for power.
Spoiler:
In fact, the events of Loren 2 will show the break-up of the Empire (this was posted in one of the threads).
As for the Nomads (from which Amukiki came from), they are considered human, but they are distinct enough they are considered their own people/power. They aren't organized like the other nations like the Amazons, Elves, Dwarves, or Empire of Man, though.

Anyways, this is what Aleema had posted about the Council:
Before the Empire, territories were divided among hundreds of tribes and Kings. They began to dominate each other after the Old Age, conquest after conquest. A great king, the previous wielder of the Ember Blade, managed an army so great that he went undefeated in uniting all the human civilizations under one banner. He was buried with his sword in a tomb in Mt. Kronos and his Empire carried on as a monarchy for many generations. A few costly peasant revolts and a noble war later, the Council was established to represent all major factions, and the Empire has never had a King or Queen since. The Council is rarely in agreement, unless they are speaking of their common enemies: the elves.

Now, my own supposition is that by the time of Loren comes around, the mages have pretty much dominated the Council (and it is intimated by the game)...which is causing tension with other factions, notably the military.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Miakoda wrote: Now, my own supposition is that by the time of Loren comes around, the mages have pretty much dominated the Council (and it is intimated by the game)...which is causing tension with other factions, notably the military.
And expect to see more of those tensions in the sequel :wink:
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote: And expect to see more of those tensions in the sequel :wink:
And Apolimesho will be tried for crimes against the Empire? ;) You know, giving out state secrets, arms-trading (the Ember Blade), consorting with the enemy (making nice with the elves), etc...