reusing enemy sprites in future RPGs?

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Re: reusing enemy sprites in future RPGs?

Post by Lonestar51 »

If it is about generic enemies, and the art style is similar, why not?

If it is the sprite of a specific enemy who died (or at least might have died) in the first part: rather not.

And I like the new interface. Will it be Loren-only or for PS too?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No of course I wouldn't reuse, for example, Fost or Grob sprites from Loren to another game :lol:
The new interface is just a prototype I'm making, I am not sure yet if I'll use it in Roger Steel (depends when the writing/art will be ready). For PS2 the interface will be different again, more similar to the first person view already seen in the first game (with fullbody enemies facing the party).
I might also try to make another smaller game set in Aravorn (but not with Loren's characters) to give players something to play this year, since based on the current progress of the various games and my past experiences, I'm not sure that a new RPG will be out this year and would be a pity :)
SimonStardust
Woods ranger

Post by SimonStardust »

I would find it quite strange if enemies from a former game weren't present in the sequel. Would feel like their whole race got exterminated or something... ;) But that's just my opinion.
Beware! Peerons ahead! xD
Madance
Druid

Post by Madance »

jack1974 wrote:No of course I wouldn't reuse, for example, Fost or Grob sprites from Loren to another game :lol:
The new interface is just a prototype I'm making, I am not sure yet if I'll use it in Roger Steel (depends when the writing/art will be ready). For PS2 the interface will be different again, more similar to the first person view already seen in the first game (with fullbody enemies facing the party).
I might also try to make another smaller game set in Aravorn (but not with Loren's characters) to give players something to play this year, since based on the current progress of the various games and my past experiences, I'm not sure that a new RPG will be out this year and would be a pity :)
I have no problem with reusing the same sprites. Actually, in the first Loren game, you used some sprites that were intended to the Amber Magic Shop. I actually find this kind of thing almost like an Easter Egg, I really appreciated!

And I totally would like another game in Aravorn, like, a interlude of what happened between Loren 1 and Loren 2. Be it a dating sim/shooter/RPG/Whatever, it would expand the Lore of the world(More things to put in the Codex!)and would make everyone happy. XD
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool thanks :) For now is just an idea, and an excuse to experiment a bit with new GUI/new rules, but might make something out of it for real depending how the other RPG progress :)
DunKalar
Woods ranger

Post by DunKalar »

You could even do other RPG in Arvaron without having to cross the path of Saren/Elenor and/or Loren directly. You could tell the story of some other person that caused/resolved a problem wich Saren/Elenor and Loren have to deal with. So you can built up this "Codex" like the Silmarilion in Middle Earth to expand the world around your adventures with Loren. So you can easily reuse your sprites and test other styles of RPG or develop a whole new story to make use of ideas that didn't fit into the Loren-Arc.
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes definitely don't need to reference to any of the Loren's character in other games. That's what I'm doing with the "unknown RPG" I'm working at the moment during pauses between games :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Personally, I prefer new art (assuming the quality is about the same or better), but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Some game developers such as SNK reuse their sprites for two or more games. Personally I won't make a fuss as long as there is no clash in style and the games are set in the same universe.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool :) yes would be same style and same universe (Loren). Of course I would also add new enemies!