reusing enemy sprites in future RPGs?

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
jack1974
Pack leader

reusing enemy sprites in future RPGs?

Post by jack1974 »

Would it look bad/cheap? I'm considering reusing some enemy sprites for the next games, the sequel of other RPGs (Planet Stronghold 2, Loren 2, etc). Since even in PS2 there will be robot enemies, and even in Loren 2 there can be goblin enemies, I was thinking that would be a waste of money to redo new sprites for those enemies... of course there would also be new enemy sprites, and I would use unique sprites for Boss Battles and so on.
Was wondering if is something you would consider: "OK", "acceptable" or "terrible", "what are you out of your mind"? :mrgreen:
fleetp
Druid

Re: reusing enemy sprites in future RPGs?

Post by fleetp »

I have no problem with doing so.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

to me its OK, the only problem is if the reused enemies appears all the time
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No, would be minor enemies and make some sporadic appearances :)
Solvus
Young scout

Post by Solvus »

It would be weird if you were doing a series if the 2nd one didn't have enemies from the 1st game so it's normal(if it did it would resemble Pokemon new region different pokemon creatures) to make it a little different mirror vertical and/or different colors to keep it fresh?
biscuit
Woods ranger

Post by biscuit »

No problem with reusing sprites; you're keeping the same art style, it's the same world setting, so why not? It would be weird (like pointed out by Solvus!) if some of the original enemy types DIDN'T show up! (Like they suddenly vanished or ran away after the endgame?)

Besides... as long as the bosses are still unique, I don't mind! :D
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool, and yes I would change colors too in some of them. In practice check this WIP screen:
I'm adapting Loren framework at 1280x720, doing some test displaying bigger/fullbody sprites. Since I also have a lot of fullbody enemies which were never or rarely displayed in the first game, was a pity not try to use them in the sequel, or maybe in some unannounced RPG I'm working on set in the same world... :mrgreen:
In this case the normal goblins became Snow Goblin! Of course the party portraits are placeholder, I reused the discarded Spirited Heart 2 sprites just for fun :lol:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

As long as it isn't overdone, I don't see a problem.
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

I don't have an issue with reusing enemy sprites, given that for the major encounters there will be new ones. With the new interface it isn't even really noticeable.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, also the new interface helps, some enemies might look like new ones :)