character personalities you'd like to see in RPGs

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
jack1974
Pack leader

character personalities you'd like to see in RPGs

Post by jack1974 »

Sleepykitten made another post in another part of the forums: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2585
Here I wanted to ask specifically for RPGs, in particular for Loren sequel (but answers / suggestion can be reused for other future games). I was brainstorming with Aleema, and we realized that with such a huge cast of party members is hard to always come up with new/fresh personalities.
Now of course, is not like you must always try to offer new thing, is hard. I think a character personality, beside his/her archetype, is made of the dialogues, the actions, and so on.
So for example two similar archetypes, the "solitary deadly fighter" could be like Loren, who is good at heart but just not used to the outside world, or it could be like Philipp, that is a real bastard :lol:

But I was wondering if you have any suggestion of "archetypes" rarely seen in RPGs ? Personally I think the "crazy" personality is not used enough. A bit like the ranger of Baldur's Gate (I don't remember his name anymore, getting old).
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: character personalities you'd like to see in RPGs

Post by Franka »

Go for the eyes, Boo, go for the eyes!
-Minsc
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ahhh yes!! The good old Minsc :)
Madance
Druid

Post by Madance »

jack1974 wrote:Ahhh yes!! The good old Minsc :)
Oh, Minsc and Boo, the most cute characters of the games ^__^ Love them so much!

But, speaking of personalities, I have a suggestion! How about a character with double personality? I don't know, like, he/she would be totally a goodie-two-shoes in a moment, and suddenly, a freaking bastard in another. Not only would be different of a lot of rpg's but could make a nice and long story related to him/her. Like:"How he/she became like this?" "Its really a double personality or another person is sharing the control of his/her body?" "Madness or magic?"
There are so many ways this could go, but certainly is very different. ^__^ :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm yes that's a good suggestion! I thought about someone a bit craaaaaaaazy but not that way, that could have a split personality or some kind of curse. It would be interesting and also possibly hilarious :) thanks!
daikiraikimi
Woods ranger

Post by daikiraikimi »

One archetype that is not seen anywhere, really, but that I really like is the bifauxnen. The term is like bishounen, or pretty boy, but is actually female. Like a woman who is very gentlemanly or boyish. Also transgendered characters!

Crazy characters can be fun, too. Some of my favorite depictions of crazy characters are in several anime/manga: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Future Diary, and Chaos;Head. I would highly recommend watching them if you are interested in inserting crazy or "yandere" characters. :D
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

Don't forget the annoying ditzy one who is really very brainy but always comes out with stupid things and is a bit naive
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool, thanks for the suggestions :) About the transgender in PS2 there's Lakadema. In Loren 2 there's Nook that is the reverse (man looking girly) and I think Juliet could be considered a bit boyish (ahem apart her breast :lol:).
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

Yes I'd love to see an example of the female gentlemanly 'prince' type to sweep my girl off her feet.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Quirks I'd be interested in seeing (not necessarily archetypes/personalities, just stuff off the top of my head):

- Color blind character
- Deaf character (not a blind character, that's done to death)
- Character convinced that they'll fail at everything they do
- A character who doesn't always follow your combat orders - cos they're crazy/rebellious/hotheaded
- Character who plays pranks on everybody, and doesn't know when to quit, so sometimes it becomes dangerous, never learns from mistakes
- A manipulative character who pretends to have a heart of gold, but is actually up to no good (and we don't see it coming!)
- Someone sensitive about the size of their (choose any body part that isn't a nose)
- Cowardly character, also in combat
- Insomniac character, nervous and high strung
- Phobias - trees/open sky/water/heights/germs/whatever

Yeah, so anyway, hope some of that is inspiration for something.