RPG aligment

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay

which aligment you usually play on in a RPG?

You may select 1 option

View results

jack1974
Pack leader

Re: RPG aligment

Post by jack1974 »

Aleema wrote:I'm usually pure good. I think it's because I'm compensating for being evil in real life. :twisted:
ROFL not bad :lol:
Aleema wrote: Oddly, the Fable series was the only time I've truly played "evil" and enjoyed it. It's a more comical universe and the NPCs are really annoying and dull, so it's an entirely different atmosphere. In fact, Fable makes it extremely unrewarding to be good, as if being good is the reward itself. Now, that is indeed an interesting construct to keep players from mindlessly doing the right thing (by putting heavy prices on "good" choices) , but as a player, it was rather frustrating to get bad consequences because I wanted to be nice.
I played the Fable series too and I agree, it was comical so even the bad/evil choices were pictured very differently than, say, Fallout.
mastro
Young scout

Post by mastro »

I think in a RPG or any other game is cool when, you don't really have bad choices but some that makes you think.
For example you're forced to decide between two bad things, but both are unavoidable so you're not really evil, it's the game that forces you to pick a choice, even if maybe the main character doesn't want it, reject the choice. I think those are very cool moments in a RPG!
pysali
Young scout

Post by pysali »

Given the opportunity to play good, bad and grey I will try out all three paths though I usually end up with a morally grey character. In the Mass Effect series there's always been two save games I've ported, one for paragon and one for renegade. Ditto in SWToR I have light side, dark side and grey characters because the options are there and I want to see what happens.

As long as a morality system actually has consequences it can be really compelling, but that takes a lot of work and branching. Otherwise it comes off as hilarious-in-a-bad-way when you're like 'I AM THE DARKEST EVIL!' and the game goes, 'Okay! Nothing bad will happen in consequence because we really didn't expect people to pick that path!' and you're like 'Wait, what?'

SWTor minor game play spoilers
Spoiler:
To really see what I mean for bad branching system play a Light Side Sith or a Dark Side Jedi, then the system is...really broken in an awful, awful, I can't believe my character can get away with some of this, way.
If you're talking about a military based game or a game with war it's nice to have a more shades of grey system, especially if there are opposing factions. Since in war even if the big guys have some pretty clear cut reasons for why they're fighting each other there are always little guys who are screwed.

Though there is something really compelling about writing something where you go through a side and people are like 'Hell yeah! Get those Blue guys, they're jerks who are limiting our (freedom, justice, ability to feed ourselves, ability to take their resources, culture, something else) and you're a hero!' and then you do a play through as the other guys and they're singing your praises for attacking the red guys because they're the real 'bad guys' who are (oppressing, trying to take their land, resources, freedom, justice, suppress their culture or something else).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks, that's true that requires much more attention and branching. About this:
pysali wrote: Though there is something really compelling about writing something where you go through a side and people are like 'Hell yeah! Get those Blue guys, they're jerks who are limiting our (freedom, justice, ability to feed ourselves, ability to take their resources, culture, something else) and you're a hero!' and then you do a play through as the other guys and they're singing your praises for attacking the red guys because they're the real 'bad guys' who are (oppressing, trying to take their land, resources, freedom, justice, suppress their culture or something else).
Yes that's what I tried to do in the first Planet Stronghold game. I like the games where you can play in both factions, instead of always being in one side "the good" :)
pysali
Young scout

Post by pysali »

I know, it was just hard for me to be sympathetic towards the Empire in PS1 because I loved the aliens so much more (and I never had the option to try and negotiate peace with any of them). My priorities are screwed. You could always put in evil options and then have a lot of game overs and early endings like in Bionic Heart.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well different FINAL endings yes, but I don't want to cut off some parts of the game to offer different endings, not in a RPG since I'm sure players wouldn't approve :)
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

I always play as GOOD first to get the story, then EVIL just to see how it differs.

Like Jade Empire (one of my all time fave games) I played the EVIL quite a lots (as a female character)
Spoiler:
as I just loved making the princess become an EVIL lesbian. They ruled together during the day and by night they became assassins killing off any who opposed them, together.
Plus with the EVIL way (or closed fist)
Spoiler:
You got Death's Hand and if you wanted to become GOOD at the turning point, Death's Hand got his life back which I loved. Only problem was to be "GOOD" like this and you were all the way through but wanted to "save" Death's Hand you have to be EVIL to recruit him and lose your LI which sucked but hey ho.
Crosaith
Young scout

Post by Crosaith »

I prefer playing as evil characters overall, but not the whole "ALL MUST DIE" type. More along the lines of the selfish/ambitious with a touch of protecting those he cares about. Also, evil characters usually get the option of killing those who are rude/screw im over. While Mr Goody tends to be like "Oh your insulting me.. OKAY !! Let me do that quest for you please!". :? Huge +++ for evil there. ^^
DoctorMario911
Young scout

Post by DoctorMario911 »

I prefer good character since i could never handle the endings on the dark side but for me star wars is totally different on the light and dark side.
Spoiler:
You can call me a drama queen when it involves people dying like the in Loren the amazon princesdoings. I ciuldnt even finish watching the ending when i killed myself.
Sorry if the spoiler thing didnt work up there since im doing this on my phone
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Spoiler worked correctly. Here's another:
Spoiler:
in the expansion there'll be a way to avoid the sacrifice :wink: