Read or Play?

General discussions not necessarily related to our games

Is the term for experiencing a Visual Novel Read or Play?

You may select 1 option

View results

iWeasle
Woods ranger

Read or Play?

Post by iWeasle »

I've been wondering for a while now, do you read or play a VN?
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Re: Read or Play?

Post by iWeasle »

Now that I think about it I should have put this in the Visual Novel section but I was thinking about the Dating Sim VN type things too. terms are hard :mrgreen: .
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I would say play, so long as there is interactive elements, whether it be making choices that changes the outcome of the story or gameplay elements that are needed to progress further.
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

Jaeger wrote:I would say play, so long as there is interactive elements, whether it be making choices that changes the outcome of the story or gameplay elements that are needed to progress further.
Yeah, I kind of lean that way too. It's mainly when I feel the need to point out that I do read some :mrgreen: .
canyonaz
Young scout

Post by canyonaz »

If the poll results hold like this, you should post them in the discussion areas of the visual novels on Steam. There are always tons of dumb comments like "This isn't a game! You can't play it!"
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

lol, ok :)
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Much of the video game playing population do not have the appreciation for visual novels, whether it be they are used to more interaction or spoiled by flashy presentation of today's game. I'm not surprised by the negativity on Steam, which has a pretty large user base.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think it was early, now there's a lot of people playing VN on Steam. Sure some still hate them :) and others play them with shame (I refer to the hentai ones) but after past year nobody can say anymore that "VNs don't belong to Steam" !
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

which is good, and btw, some of the people ik who play the hentai VN's do it with pride :lol: .
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

The best ones I feel have enough choice it is a game, but i have played some with mountains of text before making a choice to be followed with more text. But I like ones you can play and enjoy the differences.