Desktop Mobile Forums Blog Support Patreon

which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Other older games including sports simulation, wargames, strategy

which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

You may select up to 2 options

 
 
View results

User avatar
fabulaparva
Elder Druid
Posts: 763
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 9:58 pm

Re: which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Postby fabulaparva » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:22 pm

jack1974 wrote:True, that would work. Or some sort of divinity, etc. Something not requiring "permadeath" in summary :lol: since then it would be hard to romance a dead character!

In Scheherazade one of the love interests is a mummy. In Niflheim, everybody including the heroine, is dead. It can be done, but do you want to is a different issue. :P

User avatar
OhHaiMe
Young scout
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:14 pm

Re: which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Postby OhHaiMe » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:15 am

I picked Sports since you list Fighting as part of that. Because I count the BlazBlue games as some of my favorite VNs and because the moment I first saw Love Bites character art I immediately thought "I wish this was animated in fighting game." Of course a Legit Fighting game would be to much work to do well but just think of thoses characters fully animated :man_in_love:

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 12490
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Postby jack1974 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:36 am

DarkWolf wrote:While I love strategy games they are very similar to a turn base RPGs, unless they ware building strategy like Civilization, but in both cases what you said about RPGs that it would be very hard to do one in a smaller scale I think holds true for Strategy games as well.

I think should be possible to do it on a smaller scale. Think an hex-grid wargame with units like the old Fantasy General (heh, I'm old :lol:) + VN/dating sim part. OK, it's probably not so small, but like with PSCD once the card framework it's done, doing subsequent games should be easier.

DarkWolf wrote:Adventure and Simulation would both be a good choice, I voted Adventure because I prefer it over Simulation and because Simulation wouldn't be that different from your usual Dating sims and I think for a short story game it would be better to do something different.

I think would be different since you should do something else, like running a shop. Or imagine a game like the TV Station Manager I have done (it's an old title) + dating sim mechanics :)

fabulaparva wrote:It can be done, but do you want to is a different issue. :P

Haha I guess could be interesting though!

OhHaiMe wrote:Of course a Legit Fighting game would be to much work to do well but just think of thoses characters fully animated

Ehhhh!!! Fully animated of such quality it's probably out of my reach :mrgreen:

rooke30
Young scout
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:44 am

Re: which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Postby rooke30 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:37 am

BobTheMob wrote:One thing I'm confused about: what's the difference between adventure and RPG?

All the RPGs I've ever played have always seemed to be adventure.


Adventure games are those featuring a narrative, puzzles, and exploration. Note the puzzles don't have to be puzzles in the conventional sense of the world, they could be dialogue puzzles or logic puzzles.

RPGs are tricky. Computer RPGs originated from people attempting to emulate the combat system from tabletop wargames in a virtual environment, this is because it was the only part of an RPG they could easily emulate. Because of this, RPGs are generally known as 'combat sims' where there is a combat system and your character levels up and evolves. Games which have levelling up features that don't include combat (like Tiger Woods) tend to now be known as sims (they aren't sport RPGs, they're sport sims.)

But the core aspect of RPGs is a user defined narrative, that is a story which shifts and changes due to the choices of the player. Obviously this is extremely difficult to emulate on computers, but there have been some attempts recently.

User avatar
IotaOne
Young scout
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:38 am

Re: which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Postby IotaOne » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:04 pm

I voted for strategy and simulation. There is an abundance of roguelikes nowadays and i would like to see more strategy games or a simulation with nice drawings.
"Truth is like poetry. And most people f*cking hate poetry."

User avatar
DarkWolf
Woods ranger
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:26 pm

Re: which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Postby DarkWolf » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:41 pm

BobTheMob wrote:One thing I'm confused about: what's the difference between adventure and RPG?

All the RPGs I've ever played have always seemed to be adventure.


From the way you are asking this question for some reason I am getting a feeling you are mixing an adventure genre from anime/movies and other story telling media with adventure genre of games, while they are both call the same they are a different thing as in first it is refereed to type of story where protagonist is going on adventure while later is refereed to gameplay where you go around slowing puzzles. Now when it comes to VNs and story based games it can be a bit confusing because they have both story telling and gameplay and therefore when you say it is an adventure you don't know if it is meant on it's story telling part or gameplay part. In this case Jack is referring to gameplay adventure genre true.

RPG genre can nowadays be a bit hard to define but I would say this is a very good definition:

rooke30 wrote:But the core aspect of RPGs is a user defined narrative, that is a story which shifts and changes due to the choices of the player.

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 12490
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Postby jack1974 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:20 pm

IotaOne wrote:I voted for strategy and simulation. There is an abundance of roguelikes nowadays and i would like to see more strategy games or a simulation with nice drawings.

That's interesting to me, since I made a few sim games before (well, it was long time ago though!). I wouldn't mind trying again at this, mixing it with VN.
To be honest I can see Amber's Magic Shop to be something like that, if I spend a bit of time and beside the crafting I code also a ingredients gathering and shop mode. I could try it already in that game indeed...

Katicflis
Young scout
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Postby Katicflis » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:34 pm

God I'd love to see another game like Recettear ... setting up shop, haggling with customers, interacting with adventurers, going through small random dungeons to collect items(with said adventurers).


Also. Jack, buying games off your site means that I can get the steam versions for free when they come out, right? Cause I still gotta buy Heirs and QoT. When should they be out for steam?

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 12490
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Postby jack1974 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:23 pm

Katicflis wrote:God I'd love to see another game like Recettear ... setting up shop, haggling with customers, interacting with adventurers, going through small random dungeons to collect items(with said adventurers).

Yes I had in mind that game too. Not sure yet about the RPG part though, since might be a bit too much. First I'll try to make a good crafting/shop management game, then if there's time I can also try to add some optional RPG battles.
Katicflis wrote:Also. Jack, buying games off your site means that I can get the steam versions for free when they come out, right? Cause I still gotta buy Heirs and QoT. When should they be out for steam?

Yes exactly, it's safe to say that ALL my future games will be on Steam. For H&G I am waiting for the Summer Sale to end, probably at mid-end of July will be released there. For QoT, don't know yet since is still in beta, maybe this September/October, depending how it goes.

User avatar
PaperDragon
Young scout
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:46 pm

Re: which gameplay would you like to see mixed with VN/dating sim?

Postby PaperDragon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:29 pm

jack1974 wrote:True, that would work. Or some sort of divinity, etc. Something not requiring "permadeath" in summary :lol: since then it would be hard to romance a dead character!


Romance a zombie/vampire/ghost? (Said half flippantly and half seriously.)

I do love adventure games. They're always so much fun, and I almost voted for it too, but the one I really, really want to see is a simulation type game with more story. Something like the farming sim in Flower Shop 1 and the flower growing in Flower Shop 2 would be GREAT if it'd have a little more variations and a slight plot to go with it. Or something like a town building sim (like that one CIV expansion that did that...) with actual conversations with people/plot. I'd even love running a resort or inn or hotel. And adding in a bit of a story - and, maybe, the possibility to romance a couple of characters - I would be throwing my money at the screen.


Return to “Other games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests