As you know I want to try doing some "other games". They could be "pure gameplay", so not have any VN or dating sim aspect.BUT
If I had to add VN/romance to some other genre, which one you would like to see more, or think could work better?
Note that I've excluded RPG on purpose, since I already know that people want that kind of games
but probably would be very hard to do one in a smaller scale, so I'm not including it. Unless if it was a really simple RPG, but I doubt it.
My goal would be to make some simpler games, to sell at $9.99 maybe, having a story plus maybe a FEW romances (not 8+ characters! not possible) but also with some more gameplay. Some random examples, using existing games as reference:
- adventure: well in this case would basically be like other adventure games in which you must use items, solve puzzles, etc, but also have romance/sexy stuff
- simulation: this could be like my games Flower Shop, but with more deep gameplay. Like StarDew Valley (but on smaller scale of course, that game is huge!)
- strategy: think PSCD with manga art
but also, some wargame, or stuff like that. Not RPG obviously.
- sports: mixing a story with something sports related maybe.
- roguelike: this would be the hardest to do probably, since in those games is normal that people die. So I am not sure it's a good fit for VN/romance. Story + gameplay instead could work. An example is a game done by a friend, March Of The Living (FTL+zombie theme).
For those games I might use also pixel art for the gameplay part, and have the usual CG scenes for romance. Or even normal characters while talking, but smaller sprites or pixel art during the gameplay (depending on the game type of course).