Spirited Heart 2 development thread

Life simulation game in a fantasy world: http://www.winterwolves.com/spiritedheart.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Spirited Heart 2 development thread

Post by jack1974 »

Nah I don't want to overcomplicate it too much. The idea behind the yuri/yaoi was that I could reuse the existing sprites but with different storylines and ending CG of course. I'll see, I don't like much the idea of having a "friendship" ending only for the yuri. I have to say though that this game is really much much more family friendly, so it's not like Loren. Will think about it since in any case there's plenty of time :) I was just a bit annoyed by this news, but don't worry will find a solution.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

While it was very clashing in the original game to have different artists (especially for the wedding scenes where the old and new characters stood side by side), I vote for getting another artist, who doesn't have "religious" qualms.

Just don't deny me my yuri.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes that's probably what I'll end up doing. This means the game will be delayed a bit probably. Anyway, there'll be plenty of yuri/yaoi content in my other games this year! (lol I was about to write "next year")
Fearsome
Young scout

Post by Fearsome »

I vote we have a cute raising game that has a boy protagonist, a son to raise, and become an alchemist or a hero, or a merchant or discover his lost roots and become prince of the realm, and have male and female love interests for him...

Get our Yaoi kick in there, and have het as options and Yaoi as primary. ;)
As it is, as I said, the Artist that is being a complete and utter twit should probably be listed so other indie gamers and creators can blacklist his slow, in multiple ways, self. >:( Not okay. Not okay by any means. He's slow, and honestly, not good enough to be charging you as much as he is, especially as he seems to be giving it lowest priority. :(
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I don't know what to do honestly, some other people I spoke with said that I would have the rights to ask my money back, since he should have told me before. Or to make it public in a blog post, to at least get some press coverage. I am not sure though, since it involves religion and it's a delicate matter. Plus the press hates me, so I'm sure that if I was someone else, I would get press coverage and be acclaimed as the hero of gay movement, while in my case it would only backfire :lol: (trust me I'm not negative, I KNOW how this would end if I made it public).
In general I think I'm a generous person and everyone who worked with me can confirm this, but as you can imagine this ruins a bit everything, and now I am seriously pissed and I find myself trying to find a solution and trying to justify what might happen to my fans... :(
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

Jack,
I assume you have a written contract with the artist in question. If the artist violated the terms of the contract, depending on the wording of the contract, you might have the right to recover funds. I'm not an attorney, and I haven't seen the contract, and I don't know anything about contract law where you live. If the amount is significant, you probably should contact an attorney.
Very respectfully,
fleet
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No, the amount is not that big, so wouldn't be worth it !
To be completely honest, I hired him back in 2009 so at those times I hadn't even planned to do the yuri version of the FIRST game. At those times I was making only straight games, so I didn't even bother to ask him if he would be OK to draw art for some other kind of games.
I'll sleep over it, but probably will end up doing only straight version for this game even if I know some people are going to be disappointed, but it's a particular situation in this case. Obviously for all the new games there won't be issues like this anymore since I'll be very clear to the artists since day1 :)
Fearsome
Young scout

Post by Fearsome »

Yes, it is very much something he should have made apparent to you before. :( As it is, I rather think you would be seen as the good guy in this. The artist took the project knowing you did Yuri content in the prior game and in other games, and is now refusing to do ANY girl arts unless you tell him it will be friendship only? The hell is that about?

You, by dint of PAYING for them, are able to use it with the story however you want. He doesn't want to draw a kiss? Fine, some close hand holding, tickling, a date on the beach, so MANY ways around that, and have it fade to black to describe the kiss, etc, would be fantastic, but the fact this numbskull wants to dictate how it is used? Someone needs a boot to the head.

This shit makes me angry. Always has, always will.
If you made it public, I'd signal boost the hell out of it on Tumblr, and put out a call for any artist willing to take on the Yuri project. Possibly for small percentage of profits or for the full commission price at x number sold, etc instead of being paid up front. I was doing that for my convention a while back.
Whups, nevermind, he should still have stepped forward to say something. :(
Anywho, yes, not good on him, but if this game is het and we get a Yuri and Yaoi friendly SH3, I'm sure we'd all be fine. :P
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No no wait :lol:
As I posted above, I originally hired him to do the sequel of the game, that didn't had any yuri content. The Spirited Heart Girl's Love was out only in 2011, but I never told artist about the possibility of a yuri version for the sequel too.
I only told him just before Christmas, and while he seemed OK, now he changed his mind. But I didn't pay anything for the yuri version since he didn't even start drawing the female romances.
So while I don't understand his reasons, is a bit different from backing out of a project after 2 years - he told me after 2 weeks.
I might just replace all the art with another "more open" artist after all. But better I go to sleep now since is late :lol:
thesleepykitten
Official writer

Post by thesleepykitten »

I'm sure we'll come to a solution. If we can get SH2 yuri and/or yaoi, awesome! If not, we'll probably do a new yuri/yaoi game as an alternative.

If you decide on a new artist, hopefully it wouldn't be 2-3 years for all the sprites... ^^;

Now that Heileen 3 yuri expansion is coming out in a few weeks, be resuming SH2 soon.