Suggestions welcome

First person CRPG, based on the old classics like Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder
Astral
Young scout

Post by Astral »

I just saw your latest blog entry with the map screenshot.

I must say I really love the layout you have going. I like the idea of combining the party into one icon as they move around, and once you flesh out each room it will look that much better. You are cetainly going in the right direction. :P

Just looking at that developmental map, I'm so eager to play this game. Keep those screenshots coming. :)

I'm also glad that with this game you are making an editor early on, because I can already imagine creating some cool maps for it. :wink:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks! :) I am always very picky, so I didn't know if to show that screenshot to the public. But so far everyone almost said the same thing: "looks great, I'm eager to play the game!". So I guess it isn't so bad after all 8)

The difficult thing will be putting many items, because of the perspective. Anyway I'm rendering right now barrel, chests, racks, and so on. Of course not every item will have a purpose, and some will be just for scenic purposes!
Astral wrote: I'm also glad that with this game you are making an editor early on, because I can already imagine creating some cool maps for it. :wink:
Yes after Magic Stones experience I realized how fool I was not making an editor from the beginning. If I did that, now would be very easy to make new quests and users could create their own too with ease! a mistake not to be repeated with my future rpg/strategy games that features maps or editable items!! :roll:
KnockOut
Young scout

Post by KnockOut »

Please don't have the starting skill points be random so you have to keep rerolling until you get the maximum number of skill points :twisted:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well for now that's it :lol:
I'll see if change it later, in any case what matters are the main stats (strength, dexterity, etc) since they influence the game a lot more than only the skills. And since every skill is trainable with the use of it... the difference in random generation is just 3-4 points.

Beside that, rerolling is a vital part of any good RPG, no?? 8)
Sanguinius
Young scout

Post by Sanguinius »

Whoa! So you really are creating RPG.
I remember that you posted long time ago that you may start to develop one.

About rolling:
I absolutely hate rolling character. I find no purpose in it. I want to create my character as I see fit.

Also:
How many skills are we looking at here? And are you planning to emphasize combat or you are going Planescape route and placing dialog more important?
And can you choose between good and evil? And if you do plan to be able to be evil in game, please do not take obsidian route, in their games only evil characters that exist are dumb brutes.

Sorry, if these questions are already answered, its late here and I didnt read this whole thread.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Reroll will be minimal, and on skills which in any case can be build up over time, differently from character attributes (str,dex,sta,wis etc) that you will be able to allocate, and that are more important in the game.

The skills are purely combat-based. Would be foolish for me to attempt to make a big game like Runescape or Oblivion or whatever else. I first will make a trilogy of a dungeon based combat-focused RPG, then if I'm still alive (remember I'm working alone) then I can try a bigger RPG with dialogues, etc 8)
KnockOut
Young scout

Post by KnockOut »

I was playing the game Jack helped code called Global Warming and I thought wow, this card system is a really great idea and should be used in a lot more games. I thought the card system would be great in RPGs so naturally Tower of Destiny popped into my mind.

So when your men encounter a monster, each of your party gets dealt five cards. Some of the cards can be the spells that you designed. Others can be based on the inventory you have such as a singing sword which stuns the enemy for a turn. But others are creative, like swing from a chandelair and try to chop your opponents head off or lead your opponent into a trap.

Some cards will also only be available if you have say two dwarven clerics and then either one of them can draw the drunken stupor card.

The advantage of this system is that it takes advantage of probabilities. Not only might you have two wizards to take advantage of any special cards that only show up when you have two wizards but also now you might want two wizards so you're more likely to draw the slow card. The other advantage is that with swing from a chandelere card, etc. is that it feels more like a pen & paper RPG.

Like in Global Warming the game would inform you when certain cards would be bad plays, you would get hints like "Scorpiens hate water spells"

You might say it's not realistic to not be able to use all of your characters abilities at once. However, there always situations that prohibit characters from using spells or abilities like the corridor is too small to use the fireball spell, there's a lot of wind that prevents the use of arrows, your warrior can't get his sword out of his scabbard, etc.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hm don't know, I think the card system would appeal more casual players, and for TOD I'm not really targetting them (is more a niche game). However I'm talking with Midori and the possibility to make more games using the Global Warning engine ;)
Astral
Young scout

Post by Astral »

Close to a month since your last reply about this game. I'm starting to worry :(

I know you are busy with Supernova and eliminating bugs from Magic Stones, but I was hoping for another juicy in-game screenshot. :P

I know if you had something new to post you would have done so already, but close to a month without a post or blog entry about this game is really making me want this game even more.

Please, I'll take any update you can provide- be it a thumbnail image or a one paragraph tidbit.

I can't wait until you release this game because I will finally have something enjoyable to play alongside Magic Stones. :) :)
deverindeverin
Young scout

Post by deverindeverin »

it does look like a good cousin to magic stone. it will be fun to try it out.